• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

anyone use a new terex 28106?

tree98

In the market for a new boom truck and was thinking about terex's 28106.The sales guy at my local terex dealer tells me he's had complaints about these booms.He says operators have complained about it feeling unstable lifting off the side because of the configuration of the front "A" frame outriggers.Just wondered if anyone here has used one and what they think of it.

tree98

Ok so nobody has used one.Here's what the outrigger configuration is,to me it looks like it probably would feel very unstable lifting directly off the sides.What do you think?Woukd you spend $300,000 on it or would you buy a more traditional boom truck with front outriggers that go out straight?(still $300,000 though)

Image.jpg

Sirius

Are those actually A frame outriggers or out and downs? I know you said A Frame in your post just curious. I work for a Grove/National dealer so I'm a little biased but stability wise the 900H and NBT30's are pretty solid in the 27-29t range. Too be honest I'm not entirely sure what they cost these days though. The only crane we have with the angled front outriggers is the NBT55/60 which is stable as a rock but that's not really apples to apples. Still feels and looks weird having all that truck hanging off the front end though.

tree98

The fronts are A-frame rears are out&down.I attached a color picture of one so you can see it better.I've thought about the national 9105H but it probably costs 20% more than the terex.Today I talked to a sales guy from a different terex dealer and he told me they put together a 28106 on a heavier spec'ed chassis than what terex calls for and he claims it has no problems getting light over the sides.Who knows what's true:)

1.png

Knepptune

I could see that feeling unstable but then I thought that was the goal with boom trucks. Never really been on one that felt solid. I would try to talk a dealer into letting me run one. In their lot of course. They may be a bit hesitant but if they think your gonna drop 300k I bet they'll let you test one out. Of course it's been through testing at terex but it's usually a bit of gamble with a new design. If it was me I think I'd stick with the traditional design.

classictruckman

Occupation
Tree Climber/339A Crane Operator
I think that's a great design compared to a front outrigger bending the truck frame. stability is based on 2 things, counterweight and distance of that counterweight from the tipping axis(assuming the truck is setup on a solid surface) it doesn't matter if the outriggers are angled or not as long as the counterweight and outrigger spread are the same it should be just as stable.

Sirius

We do stability test lifts on all cranes assembled at our shop. At 18% above max pick with the boom over the front the rear outriggers do get light but on probably 95% of the picks I've done they've raised no more then 3 inches. Over the back and sides they're generally pretty solid.

I'm not an operator so I don't have any field experience with single front outriggers but they don't seem like enough of a pain in the a$$ to go to angled outriggers and avoid having one. I'd say run one at the dealers yard and see how it feels. Can't speak for anyone else but we have customers come in a test cranes quite often with no issues provided a mechanic is with them.

classictruckman

Occupation
I cringe everytime I put the front outrigger down on our new Elliott and see the truck frame bend a lot, and wonder how much it would really do in the event of a major overload over the front.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
OP, save your Monet and buy a good, used 40 ton crane. A terex, Lorain, grove or stink belt. You can get a very decent used rig for less than the price of a boom truck and it will be a REAL crane.

Tiny

to the original question , No I haven't even seen one with the swept forward outriggers . I kinda like the idea of not hassling with the front one . it was last down and 1st up with the front rigger . That being said I'm not sure I would spend extra money to get away from it . The front outrigger works and is reliable . You can go to work tomorrow and know without much doubt the machine is going to perform as expected .

Just my personal opinion here so take it for what it's worth . The terex and nationals I ran didn't need a ton on weight on the front rigger . I barely touched it down on the national because the weight picked up on the front made the over the side picks too light . If the ground settled any at all the front had too much . Again , Just my opinion . If you are watching the frame flex you could have a tad too much pressure on it .

tree98

OP, save your Monet and buy a good, used 40 ton crane. A terex, Lorain, grove or stink belt. You can get a very decent used rig for less than the price of a boom truck and it will be a REAL crane.

There's a little more to it than that.For one I need to be able to haul logs so I need a useable bed.The other issue is when you buy used equipment the first owner usually got the good use out of it.I know a lot of you will jump up and down in disagreement with me on that,but I've been around this block before and I've learned it's hard to beat NEW!We all know what it costs to pull a boom apart.I know what your saying but in my position I'm in need of a boom truck.

tree98

I think that's a great design compared to a front outrigger bending the truck frame. stability is based on 2 things, counterweight and distance of that counterweight from the tipping axis(assuming the truck is setup on a solid surface) it doesn't matter if the outriggers are angled or not as long as the counterweight and outrigger spread are the same it should be just as stable.

Terex built this model thinking they could sell them without the front stab.therefore making it cheaper than the competiton.The only problem with they're plan is that you have a greatly reduced chart over the front.If you want a 360 chart with the same capacities over the front as you have over the sides then you still need a front stab.and in my case I would want one,so in my opinion terex did themselves a big disservice by making these booms like this.You can see by the pic I posted the outrigger spread is not the same from front to back as any other boom truck in it's class.I don't know for sure but it looks like 3-4 feet longer of a spread.The width is the same but the fact that it's longer from front to back makes me think your going to have more frame flex.

Tiny

Take a close look , Terex used to build a sub frame under the bed to control the truck frame flex between the side and rear outriggers . Just going by the picture posted it looks like the boom has been located further back from the cab . If that's not an illusion . Did the bed get shorter or the entire length get longer ?

Last edited:

tree98

if its a terex it will be shot in no time and you then buy a well built lasting crane.

I saw that coming!!You must be a "national guy" I have absolutely nothing against the national product,but I could give you the grand tour of terex's with well over 10,000 hrs. and never been pulled apart.The 4792 is the "ford ranger" of boom trucks,there's probably more of them out there then any other 23 ton boom.It doesn't scare me in the least to buy another terex especially when there 20% cheaper than national's product,and if you know how to run a boom you can get good life out of most any brand,it's operator abuse that kills them prematurely.This thread wasn't started as a terex vs. national so what's your opinion on the question at hand?

classictruckman

Occupation
Terex built this model thinking they could sell them without the front stab.therefore making it cheaper than the competiton.The only problem with they're plan is that you have a greatly reduced chart over the front.If you want a 360 chart with the same capacities over the front as you have over the sides then you still need a front stab.and in my case I would want one,so in my opinion terex did themselves a big disservice by making these booms like this.You can see by the pic I posted the outrigger spread is not the same from front to back as any other boom truck in it's class.I don't know for sure but it looks like 3-4 feet longer of a spread.The width is the same but the fact that it's longer from front to back makes me think your going to have more frame flex.

Well I would agree if a front stab is still required then they certainly did do themselves a huge disservice, although I can't see the angled outriggers causing anymore frame flex since the outriggers are mounted in the same spots.

If you want to turn this into a brand competition I'd say go look at a manitex 35124c, uses the same boom as our old 38ton and it looks like a good boom truck.

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
I cringe everytime I put the front outrigger down on our new Elliott and see the truck frame bend a lot, and wonder how much it would really do in the event of a major overload over the front.

Ive run a 30108 from Elliot. Hate it .. no foot throttle, bendy frame, exceptionally stupid A2B, B-length cable setup.
Elliot really should just stick to sign trucks. Their boom trucks are garbage..Give me a Manitex any day of the week .
We had some electrical problems , it took a 3/8, 7/16, and a 1/2 inch wrench and sockets to just remove the panel on the op's station.
Not to mention it was shipped to Canada with Texas grade Hyd Oil and ended up blowing the pump seals , in November weather. Replaced the oil at the owners cost, because it wasn't specified in the purchased to put lighter Hyd oil in the damn thing..Its going to Canada guys..common.

Havent run the above Terex boom truck , wouldnt mind spending a month on one just to get a real feel of what it is and does in the real world.

Last edited: