• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

anyone run chains year 'round?

TLR15

Occupation
Firefighter
Got some marginal rear tires on our 580C. They hold air but are fairly dry rotted. Trying to get another year out of them. The machine will never see pavement and will be used for plowing in the winter and work around our 30 acres the rest of the time.

I figured chains might help since it's 2wd. They won't damage the tires leaving them on will they?

sheepfoot

If your tires are bad and not running on the road, and you had a set of chains that would fit, go for it. You may check with some of you tractor tire dealers and find some good used tires that were pulled off for a upgrade to a machine at a fare price also. Have not priced chains in a long time myself. You don't have anything to lose, if you buy a set and need them in the winter later.

maddog

I'd do it, especially if I had a cheap set of chains, a good set of chains can be purty pricey. In the end your still going to need a set of tires though, so you'll have to weigh the need with the $$$$$$.

bill onthehill

Got some marginal rear tires on our 580C. They hold air but are fairly dry rotted. Trying to get another year out of them. The machine will never see pavement and will be used for plowing in the winter and work around our 30 acres the rest of the time.

I figured chains might help since it's 2wd. They won't damage the tires leaving them on will they?

I have run them in muddy jobs till mid summer before. They sure do make for a rough ride if you run them on dry ground. A set would be useful for pushing snow even if you change to new tires later. Expect to drop some decent $ for a good set. Have not needed mine for a few years as snow has been very light around here.

Oxbow

If you have a set they may get you by, but in the long run tires are less expensive than chains I believe. Good quality chains are not cheap and they wear out as well.

TLR15

Occupation
Firefighter
Can anyone recommend a reputable online place to buy them or places to stay away from?

Anyone heard of Canadian chains? They are located near me. How about the Duo-chain from tirechain.com? They're only $300.

Also should I stick to V-bars?

Last edited:

bill onthehill

Can anyone recommend a reputable online place to buy them or places to stay away from?

Anyone heard of Canadian chains? They are located near me. How about the Duo-chain from tirechain.com? They're only $300.

Also should I stick to V-bars?

I bought the V bar chains from Tirechain.com for all 4 wheels on my 580K. They worked out good for me as I need them when the hill gets icy. That was back in 2004. Ran me about $700 with the tensioners.