• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anyone knows what's the usage of these plates

Shimmy1

Funny you should mention that as I’ve been following your thread and have been experiencing something similar.
Our 6R, with C9 motor, is fine.
Both gauges go to half way and stay there, no matter what you throw at it or how hot the ambient temp. is.
Both gauges on the 7H just about go off scale with constant load in warm weather.
Like your 6H, gauges appear to be reading at least 10c higher than temps checked with two different IR guns.
Changed gauges and senders..made no difference.
Engine temp drops rapidly in neutral.
Trans barely drops, even after 15 minutes.
We had Cat do a TA2 inspection on the tractor before we bought it and all trans. pressures seem to be within spec.
Iam about to change both oil coolers, so see what happens.

I have posted numerous times about similar issues I encountered with a 7H. If you haven't checked the torque converter outlet pressure, that's a good place to start. Mine was way low. Ended up pulling the entire transmission valve body out the back, and removing every single plug, spool valve, and spring in the damn thing. The spool that controls the outlet pressure is this compound thing, a spool within a spool, that without the full service manual and hydro schematic I never would have figured it out. There was a tiny speck of something floating around in the pilot end of that spool. I was only getting about 40 psi of pressure, when spec is like 75ish. As I recall, I had to check the pressure I was looking for at the back of the tractor, not at the outlet valve on the torque. This was 20 odd years ago so I could be misremembering slightly. That solved the trans heating issues, never did resolve the hydraulics.

Queenslander

There’s a good chance that I read your posts but because I didn’t own a 7H back then it hasn’t stuck.
These are the power train pressures that the dealer recorded during the TA2 inspection.

IMG_4215.jpeg
IMG_4217.jpeg
It might be worth noting that when they first tested the machine the transmission oil pump pressure was way above spec.
They apparently fixed the problem then retested to produce the above result.

JAJ

Occupation
Owner operator of small fleet
The pressures are different specs to my 6H but I found a spec sheet online for a 7H and it seems all is spot on.
Has it run hot the whole time you’ve had it? Thinking it could be worth rechecking them your self to make sure nothing has changed since perhaps?

Will be interesting to see if Shimmy1 sees anything odd, with experience working on them something might stand out.

Do you think the 7H is much of a jump up from the 6R work output wise…. Just curious because it’s a step up in size I have been pondering?

Shimmy1

Do you think the 7H is much of a jump up from the 6R work output wise…. Just curious because it’s a step up in size I have been pondering?
Depends. In every condition except soft ground or mud, the 7 will rule. 7000 pounds and 50 HP is substantial.

Shimmy1

There’s a good chance that I read your posts but because I didn’t own a 7H back then it hasn’t stuck.
These are the power train pressures that the dealer recorded during the TA2 inspection.

It might be worth noting that when they first tested the machine the transmission oil pump pressure was way above spec.
They apparently fixed the problem then retested to produce the above result.

I would get gauges on the inlet and outlet of the torque, ones that you can keep on it while working so you can constantly monitor the pressures.

What oil is in the trans, and when was the last time the mag strainer was pulled?

Queenslander

We haven’t done 500hrs yet, since buying the tractor.
When we first started working it, it was setting off the transmission pressure alarm.
Found that it had an ultra high efficiency filter and TDTO 50 oil in it.
Changed to an advanced efficiency filter and TDTO30 and solved that problem.
Strainer was clean then.
Permanently mounting the gauges is a good idea, I’ll be doing that.
The 7 will certainly out push/pull a six but you lose a bit of manoeuvrability and you’ll need a quad axle trailer to shift it.
Depends what you’re doing, but another option might be a later 6R or 6T.
Our 6R is 195 hp and weighs close to 25 metric tonnes with heavy canopy, Gessner rippers etc.

JAJ

Occupation
We haven’t done 500hrs yet, since buying the tractor.
When we first started working it, it was setting off the transmission pressure alarm.
Found that it had an ultra high efficiency filter and TDTO 50 oil in it.
Changed to an advanced efficiency filter and TDTO30 and solved that problem.
Strainer was clean then.
Permanently mounting the gauges is a good idea, I’ll be doing that.
The 7 will certainly out push/pull a six but you lose a bit of manoeuvrability and you’ll need a quad axle trailer to shift it.
Depends what you’re doing, but another option might be a later 6R or 6T.
Our 6R is 195 hp and weighs close to 25 metric tonnes with heavy canopy, Gessner rippers etc.
Did you swap the oil after they did the tests? If so I would definitely re test the whole lot just to confirm that the oil didn’t affect any of the numbers.
I was asking Nige about running the 50 oil in mine but he said he didn’t think it was a good idea anymore.

Yeah the portability is why I went with the 6, being LGP doesn’t help that though. I thought I would still be able to shift a 7H with my tri axle trailer? A few people I have asked have said skip the 7 and get an 8 if I want to go bigger, but getting a quad float as well I just can’t justify at this stage.
How heavy do you think your 7 is all set up?
I have carted an old Allis HD-21 just to get it home, I’m not sure what it weighed but once was enough for it LOL!!!

The later model 6 is something a have been thinking about too. The spec sheets I have found list my 6H LGP at 194 gross Hp and 180Hp nett, I think it would be a bit lighter too.
I will have a good look at some R and T spec sheets.

Queenslander

We haven’t weighed our 7 but I think they start at 24.5 tonnes, add 3.5 for rippers and at least another couple for the canopy and tree spear and there wouldn’t much change out of 30 tonne.
Old mate that brought it out had a quad and dolly but he had a rake on as well.
We have weighed the 6 and it’s only sorta/kinda legal on our tri axle trailer.
It’s a fairly heavy combination though, more to stand up to our shite roads than for payload.
IMG_2273.jpeg

Last edited:

JAJ

Occupation
IMG_1148.jpeg
Yes that seems to be a fair estimate for the 7H from what I can find. I do cart my 966G around with the rake and it’s pretty heavy but ok as long as you’re careful. I haven’t weighed it, but with the forestry tyres, extra counterweight that’s been added and the rake it would have to be getting close to 30metric tons as well I think.

The old Allis HD21A I shifted once home felt a lot heavier and had the tyres bulged a lot more than anything else I have moved. Not sure what it weighs but my best guess is 35T or so. Someone on the forum might be able to give me an idea just for interest sake?IMG_7286.jpeg
I have been offered a drive of a D6T, so that will be interesting when I get a chance sounds like it burns heaps more fuel… I think he said 400-450L a day working hard!