• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anyone know about JCB rear steering?

Kevin Foust

I have a JCB 214S which has 4 wheel steer. My rear axle went bad and I replaced it myself after locating a good used one.

MVC-002F_9.JPG

When I took it out, I just disconnected the tie rods from the axle and unbolted the ram. Just hung it all with straps and not as messy and looked like an easy way to do it. It did work great.

MVC-004F_9.JPG

After lowering it down, I took measurements of what I assume is the position sensor amd removed that.

Put it all back together on the replacement and installed it. No issues there.

Once I drove it out I now have it crabbing to go straight.

IMG_5216.JPG

Pretty sure this is the position sensor that "homes" it straight when you use front wheel steer only. All 3 options do work as before and should as I'm using everything I had prior. Only the tie rods were disconnected from the ends of the hubs. It looks to be centered and the wheels are staright he in the back.

IMG_5218.JPG

IMG_5217.JPG

The fronts are turned as you can see.

My question is, should I try moving the position sensor or do the tie rods need to be adjusted? You can't really get the axle off as in the first pic, you can see those bolts basically position it place. Not much slop there. Unless they had a variation in the axle casting, I don't see how it could change this much. What I'm I overlooking?

dporter

Occupation
landscape, project manager
210 and 212 models have a valve up by the radiator to use to adjust 4 wheel steering. Unfortunetly i do not remember the procedure. it had to do with flip lever turn all the way right and keep turning a bit after, the repeat to the left and close valve. or something similar.

You might look for the valve and see if you have one.

Kevin Foust

Here are a couple pages from the manual. I would first do the bleed and then the proximity switch adjustment. View attachment 305209View attachment 305210
I never disconnected ANY hydraulic lines to the steering ram. Just unbolted the whole thing, disconnected the tie rod ends and secured then suspended in place. I guess I'll start with trying to move that proximity switch. Thank you VERY much for that info.

Last edited:

Kevin Foust

Double checked the proximity switch and it looked like it was a centered as I could be. I then took the hoe out and went lock to lock with the steering several times and no change. Started switching modes from 4 wheel steer, crab and fronts only. It was then I noticed it is now NOT going into front wheels only. It switches from Crab and 4 wheel steering okay and shows that also with the dash indicators. I'm assuming it's not locking into "home" now and it effects the other modes. When I switch it to fronts only, it stays in 4 wheel steer and the dash light shows 4 wheel steer as well. I'm guessing it could be a dash switch issue? I'll pull the dash apart and get that out next and try to bench test that. I did pull the one electrical connection to the postion sensor and it lloks fine. I did dab some dielectric grease on the pins before putting it back together.

All 3 modes did work when I put it together but maybe it has raised it's head just after. admittedly I do not normally switch modes much as I just leave it in 4 wheel. Maybe finally using the switch put it over the edge? I'll let you know what I find.

Kevin Foust

Took the dash apart and removed the switch to bench test. 6 pole and each position bridged 2 poles so it seems fine. Put it all back together and went under to the Proximity switch. Loosen it all up and adjusted the tip till it was well within a 1/8" It was about a 1/4". Keyed the ignition on and moved to 2 wheel steer and the indicator light on the dash came on. I think that was it.

I had taken a hose line off that was dripping to get it replaced but won't be able to get a hose made till Monday. Meaning I don't want to start it now to verify the fix but will post on Monday. Thanks for the insights.

Kevin Foust

Hose replaced and tried it out and all the steering options work fine and centers the rears as it should when switching modes. Thanks to all for the insight.