• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

anyone here own a 580k

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
WB Automotive, we have a 580 SK and there is a shut off solenoid right on the injection pump. It works of the key- just one wire. If you have one, check to make sure your getting power to it when you turn the key.

The lift pump will work and fill the filter but if the solenoid is "off" no fuel gets into the injection pump.

I just had to hotwire ours because of a wiring problem.

You might want to start you own thread to get more help.

troyharnish

I have an 89 K with electrical issues as well. Gauges work, but nothing else. Just bought it a few weeks ago, mechanically it works great, but it sure would be great to have lights.

troyharnish

On that note, anyone know how the wires are routed through the K with a full cab? I have the fuse block on the right of the seat behind the shift lever, but would love to know how the wires get from the light switch on the front dash beside the steering wheel to the fuse block, and out to the lights.

TheCASEguy

The "K" models are famous for the wiring harness ends breaking. Go underneath and find where the wiring harness connects to the cab/rops wiring harness. Disconnect the two harnesses and I'm sure you will find the males ends either broken or really corroded. Hopefully this helps some electrical issues.

TheCASEguy

Everything. There is about 20 years between the two models. Sorry for being so vague but there is (almost) nothing the same.

NHGus

Occupation
Fabricator/welder
I have an 87 4x4 extendahoe, It's been good to me so far. As far as electrical issues go, most things work except a couple gauges, mostly blown fuses or bad bulbs. It does seem sluggish compared to my neighbors 1990 Cat 416 4x4; I ran around all day moving dirt piles in second gear in the Cat, my 580K is not nearly as torquey in second gear.

580bruce

I have a 91 4x4 sk turbo.Full cab extend a hoe.Everything works,love it.I need to put a radio in it though.Pulled out the headliner last summer,not the place for a radio!I sure goes down the road better than the cat 420 I drive at work!