• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anyone have experience with ASV loaders?

FullMetalBucket

I'm looking for a track loader and was checking out the new PT50 and PT60 today. They ride nice and have an optional "turf track" you can get but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with them in the long term..... how are the Perkins diesels? Any recurring issues with anything on these machines. I have a line on a demo unit with 300 hours for $31,000.00 and would like some input.....
Many Thanks!! :drinkup

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
They can handle rock, 3/4 stone to be more precise, but be careful about getting the undercarriage completely buried in rocky soil as the sharp rock will chip away at the rubber on the rollers, not really fast, but over 200 hours you might be replacing new rollers, or just rotating them with the inner rollers.
My Cat 247B2 has the same U/C as the PT50/60 and it has 105 hours on it with only minor scratches in the track and no roller chipping, I spend a tremendous amount of time on pavement and in gravel, but I am careful about getting too carried away.
The only problems I have read about (on Lawnsite.com) are the bucket pins are a little weak and the cabs could be better, but other than that, they are amazing with their 50/50 weight distribution.

FullMetalBucket

Thanks Ron, I didn't search on Lawnsite.com. I'm on there too.... I'll go over and have a look for those posts. The guy at the dealership today told me the CAT machines share the same undercarriage. I was comparint it to the CASE 120CT and according to the guy I was talking with, the ASV rides like a cadillac compared to the CASE.
Thanks.

Digdeep

They can handle rock, 3/4 stone to be more precise, but be careful about getting the undercarriage completely buried in rocky soil as the sharp rock will chip away at the rubber on the rollers, not really fast, but over 200 hours you might be replacing new rollers, or just rotating them with the inner rollers.
My Cat 247B2 has the same U/C as the PT50/60 and it has 105 hours on it with only minor scratches in the track and no roller chipping, I spend a tremendous amount of time on pavement and in gravel, but I am careful about getting too carried away.
The only problems I have read about (on Lawnsite.com) are the bucket pins are a little weak and the cabs could be better, but other than that, they are amazing with their 50/50 weight distribution.

Ron is right. I own an older RC50 that will surpass 2,000 late this Spring. I have gotten good life out of the undercarriage (the tracks are still original). It is true that the rollers will get chips and grooves in them but they are still good to run since it is rubber on rubber. My machine has the one inch bucket pins but I have had no trouble with them probably because I grease them religiously. The new RC50 and RC60s had the 1.5 inch pins and so do the new PT machines. One thing to know about the PT60..it is two speed and IT IS FAST! Good luck.

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
The new PT series, 2 speed travel speeds are let's just say, "Hang on to your undies!!!!"

schmark1

I have an asv positrack 2810. I bought it used with 600 hours. I have not had any problems with the track and I now have 1200 hours on it. The machine is aewesome and can do so many different things from concrete removal to trail cutting. I think these things are fantastic in the woods. I have just encountered a problem with a planetary gear leak. Has anyone had this problem?? i am thinking of attempting the repair myself but would like some feedback on things that could go wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
I looked at my tracks for the first time since the 50 hour mark, I only have 1 cut that is visible from 2 feet of standing distance, considering what I've driven over in the last 50 hours before the cut, I'd say I am more than a little impressed at how tough these tracks are.

schmark1

The tread will never wear out before the track seperates. What happens is the tracks will seperate if abused terribly bad. I seen a 2810 with a brand new track at 2200 hours and the original track on the other side. The original track top half was beginning to seperate from the kevlar lining that is in between the top and lower half of track. All this guy did was work in trees. He said he constantly is running over stumps and anything else that gets in the way and he was very happy with the life he got out of his tracks for the amount of abuse he put them through

Digdeep

I have an asv positrack 2810. I bought it used with 600 hours. I have not had any problems with the track and I now have 1200 hours on it. The machine is aewesome and can do so many different things from concrete removal to trail cutting. I think these things are fantastic in the woods. I have just encountered a problem with a planetary gear leak. Has anyone had this problem?? i am thinking of attempting the repair myself but would like some feedback on things that could go wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Boy thats an older machine. I've seen them work in some pretty soft ground without getting stuck. I had talked to someone who said there was a seal kit available for the planetary drive. You might want to contact your local dealer or even ASV. they could probably tell you what the part number for the repair kit is.

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
Another neat thing I (finally) figured out was, the more rubber you have on pavement when turning, the less it will wear off (as a result of the constant turns) I remember when the Bobcat CTL's were all the rage dealer's were warning people to stay off pavement as the rubber will wear faster, but that's not the case. MY Cat turns faster and with less friction than my Bobcat did on wet or dry pavement.
I still have to plan my turns, but I'm not as picky now.

bullit340

I am new here and am looking for some real world exp with the rsv stuff. I am looking at a pt80 with plans for using it in the snow. Anyone have any exp with the ptracs in the snow?

talus

The vids dont lie. I don't have a 10' pusher but can pile snow the size of a van drive up one side and down the other. FWIW it's a sr80.