• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anyone have a wood splitter attachment on the hoe?

Fred from MO

Occupation
Engineer
Haha, yes, basically the roof just sits over the top of those posts. For as poorly as it is built, it has served me really well for about 10 years now. The wood stacked against the posts helps to stabilize it. It is really shaky when it is empty. As I use the wood through the winter, I am refilling it with fresh wood for the next year, so it is basically never empty.
Reason why i asked is i was thinking about building a wood "lean too" by the shop. Something similar in size to what you had, but your set up looked much easier to construct, so I was curious how it was made and its sturdiness!

T-town

Occupation
retired !
so it is basically never empty.

... the only thing better than a fine looking stack of firewood..... an endless stack..!!

Cut firewood for years for myself and my father -in-law.... they ( and wife's uncle) would chalk mark every log.... 16"... like clockwork. Chalk and 'sticks' were always in the chain oil crate.
Sure made for a fine looking stack of wood.

Clawed Backster

Reason why i asked is i was thinking about building a wood "lean too" by the shop. Something similar in size to what you had, but your set up looked much easier to construct, so I was curious how it was made and its sturdiness!
I am anything but a builder. I basically just planted 3 heavy duty t-posts at each end, 20 feet apart. Bored 3 holes half way through a couple of 4×4's that are 4 feet long (if I remember correctly) so that they sit down over the top of the t-posts. On top of those 4×4's I put a 20 foot 2×12 in the middle, and a 2×8 on each side of that. Put down some 1/2 inch sheeting to support the metal roofing, and that was it.
Surprisingly, it has withstood some pretty strong winds with nothing but it's weight holding it down.
Yeah, it's mighty crude, but works well.
Been telling myself that I am going to improve it some day, but I never seem to get around to it.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Came across another unique splitting tool. If you are impatient like me you can jump to about the 20 minute mark to see the splitter in use and the 25 minute mark to watch the grinder.

aighead

Both of those seem both effective and not at the same time. I could see the auger getting stuck a lot and the grinder seems small but looks like it gets in there surprisingly well, even on areas that look too small to catch the tip.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I subscribe to Andrew's channel over a year ago. I love his work ethic and willingness to take on anything, but my god, he is a butcher!!...LOL

Anyhow, I had seen that video, and thought the auger was ok, but the splitter, well, not the best. The stump cutter/grinder reminded me of a forstner bit in the way it peeled away the stump. It seemed to work, although I cannot imagine it lasting near me with the rocks everywhere and literally grown into the base of many trees. Not sure what it cost, but I am sure once you own the auger portion, the stump cutter/grinder in cheap.

2034b7d9-9a59-42f3-96f1-1e7226e15991.jpg

T-town

Occupation
retired !
rocks everywhere and literally grown into the base of many trees.
Hey Swetz
... I just figured the trees "ate" those rocks..??
...I know they're 'spit' back out after the burn pile is done !!

Speaking of piles... the mud is getting much drier and this weekend looks to be a great stretch, hope your getting close to back to work up there in God's country.
I've got my cylinders back from a repack and will finish that install this weekend. Fresh filters/oil and top off the hydro and fire the old gal up.
Then we have some new trees for the burn pile..... roots/ rocks and all

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Hey T-town,

Glad to hear that you are about to get your machine back up and running!!

LOL on the spitting the rocks back out!!
Was up on the property last weekend and finally was able to take out the quad. I still have a bunch of snow at my place...almost got the quad stuck it was so deep. Anyhow, the water is really running by me, cuz of the melt. I have my fingers crossed for a dry spring so I can get back to the work of prepping the pad for my garage/shop. I took a week of vacation starting next Friday...hoping for a dry week, but my luck is rain every day:(.
I have 2 swing cylinders that I also want to rebuild this spring, so they don't let go and hold me up when I am working on the pad...they currently seep.

YES...GODS COUNTRY:D...at least my happy place...LOL

T-town

Occupation
retired !
Yes.... definitely lots of water running off the hilltops.... creeks are high but clear. 3/4's inch of rain today to 'wash the roads'. No frost left to speak off unless its under pine trees.
We'll see this weekend how stiff the woods are. I have fill material 'round the build site that was put down last season and that is tacky in spots but dry in others.
Lucky to have the modified gravel driveway down ..... without it I think the mud would be too much at this point.

My swings and loader's were seeping bad. Was trying to get to the 'end' of it last fall before I shut it down and dealt with them. The 5 gal buckets of hydro were starting to add up!!
The last cylinders on the hoe that I hadn't repacked yet. I'm looking forward to a 'dry' machine.

Good luck with your weather....

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Split fire is the fastest nicest wood splitter I have ever seen. Not sure who makes it. Hardwood here, cut split and delivered is about 250 bucks a cord. Eight foot delivered is around 150. The guy I always bought from, doesn't like me, or has found a place with all yellow birch. It gives great heat, but there is no splitting it with an axe. I had a flu fire one spring. Always had small ones, you could hear the stove chugging. Go down stairs, close the drafts, and she's out. This one was chugging like an old steam train, and it was starting to shake the house. I opened up the hall closet, and could see the orange through the cracks in the bricks. Screwed the drafts shut, ran for the phone, and as I dialed, the chugging stopped. Never fixed the clay liner. Sold the stove. What I save on insurance, I probably pay in electric heat. Those damp days in the fall, I really miss the wood heat though.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Just saw this. Same guy previously posted but new video.