• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anybody make their own cylinder bench?

jastone502

Occupation
fishing and flirtin with my wife
For here and there repairs I agree. For a full time hydraulic shop not so much. Need a real repair bench w hydraulic nut buster

hosspuller

Depending on the rods you're going to work on, I think your forklift mast will twist at the longer extensions. The wind-up will be a problem when the nut lets go. Be careful.

jastone502

Occupation
fishing and flirtin with my wife
I plan to attach my hydraulic nut breaker at the large stationary end and most likely not over 10ft rods. If I keep it that close I think I will be ok. The stationary will be super structured underneath and 2nd 3rd sections only for disassembly and reassembly

Mbar

Anyone ever used a drive motor and final drive set up with a power unit and built to attach a socket or a plate with a nut cut out. Wonder if it would produce enough torque ?

Randy88

What would the final drive and motor be out of? I'd checked into a combine final drive once, turns out a single or double cylinder setup would have far more torque and cost a fraction of what rigging up a hydraulic pump to run the final drive.

Of the commercial benches I looked at, those that used a hydraulic motor and planetary setup, still had larger three phase power units on them and the planetary had quite a gear reduction built into them. Yes they are nice, but also very expensive to buy and repair compared to any bench with just cylinders on them.

I was wondering how jastone's bench was coming, also you don't need to build super long cylinders, you just need to be able to pin adjust a shorter cylinder as you take them apart and put them back together.

Mbar

Probably a bobcat 870. The brakes tend to go out and some opt for a new so there is no core. Local dealership has a few laying around. Going to try to find the start torque. I like the double acting cylinder design. The final drive idea popped in my mind the other night and I’ve been thinking about it.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I've not built one, but I found a one man shop in New Hampshire built his own. Pretty basic set up. A heavy table with overhead I beam. A slide on the I beam supported a permanent hanging hydraulic cylinder. The hanging cylinder has a pivot at the but end, a cup on the rod end.
He makes his own spud wrenches & spanners. Just pushes the spanner with the cup on the hanging cylinder.
A second cylinder is inline with the one being repaired to pull the piston out.

He had a 25' tall rig for pulling the rod 7 piston out of the long multi stage monsters.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
It's a whole lot easier to torch a round hole, than make a wrench. I plan to try an impact socket, (softer, more ductile), weld it to a 10' long handle, or a short handle for sledge hammer work. A 10 foot wrench gets pretty awkward.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I have a flatbed dump with stake pockets. It makes a pretty solid table to work from. If I need, I can weld fixtures to it, torch them off afterward.

Mbar

I went and picked up two 22 foot 8 inch I beams. One for tear down and one to build a nut buster on. Just have to decide with method to use

1466IH

Here is what we built at the shop. Don't have any videos ut here are some pictures. Short of the teardown bench on the side it is copied identical off of a Deere bench. The ram in the 3rd pic is normally pinned where the rod is now but we found it is much easier to build challenger track adjuster cylinders vertically so it is pinned there at the moment. We have several different sized adjustable wrenches that clamp on the nut and pin to the little ram with a chart made that converts psi in ram to lb/ft on wrench. Send pm if anyone wants more pics or dimensions. IMG_20210309_154349.jpg IMG_20210309_154403.jpg IMG_20210309_154411.jpg IMG_20210309_154421.jpg