• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Any recomendations for an older single axle dump

JB222

Occupation
General Contractor
I have popped up some similar threads in other areas of the forum. I am going to be picking up a Lull, Backhoe, Dump truck and trailer in the next few months and have been gathering advice as I borrow down the field and get ready to buy.

I have been looking into mid and late 80's single axle dumps to tow the lull and backhoe and maybe some smaller material runs. The truck wont be on the road all too often so the creature comforts are not really needed. The most important thing will be towing the Lull (21k) on a 15 ton tag along safely. I dont care too much about speed, but I have a decent amount of hilly curvy roads around me so "grunt" will be needed.

So far I have been looking into C60's, F800's, 6500's, International 4600's and other similar trucks. If anyone has experience towing with a set up like this and could give me some tips to narrow the field it would be greatly appreciated.
Are air brakes a must or is hydraulic ok?
Will some of these with gassers get the job done or should I stick to looking at the diesels?
I am pretty much sold on a 5 speed with a split rear, but are there better or comparable options I should consider?
Just a few examples of what I am trying to narrow down.

Thanks for the advice Guys.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Go find a Mack R model

JB222

Occupation
General Contractor
Just looked up a few Model R's on Craigslist. Looks like a really nice truck and there are a few at decent prices. What is it about the Mack that makes you recommend it over some of the others?

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
I like the Ford L8000/L9000, make sure they have Cummins engines, not Ford engines
I never owned older Macks, the replacements parts are hard to find in our area and very costly.
air brakes on the truck, a must
Make sure you have CDL's
Good Luck

JB222

Occupation
General Contractor
Thanks, I hadn't thought of those since I was originally looking below cdl as I wasn't planning on towing the lull. I am getting the permit in the next few weeks and have a buddy that has already volunteered to get me some seat time before the test.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
like hardline says, they go forever. I have three R models here. One RD and two RB's. RB's sett up as quad axle dumps, the RD is a heavy haul tractor. I been running Macks since I started out in 1989 and love um to death

JB222

Occupation
General Contractor
Thanks guys, should be one step closer to the purchase tomorrow night. I am still looking around on craigslist and also am going to throw out some local feelers shortly.

TCS

You don't want anything with dayton wheels on it if you going to put it on the road.

I find this to be an interesting comment as open wheels are far easier to field service or change than Budds,ball seat or hub pilot.I've been trucking since 1966 and although all my tractors,tri-axles and most of the trailers now run on Budds,I never had a Dayton crack like Budds have. I will admit it does take a bit of patience and experience to get them on true though.

d9gdon

Amen on the Macks. You can stick any dummy in them off the street and they can't tear them up without lots of effort.

TCS

True.....Their triple countershaft transmissions and double reduction rears are very tough. A 237 0r 300 Maxidyne would be way more than enough to do what he wants and should last a longtime.

JB222

Occupation
General Contractor
I have been looking for the Macks on Craigslist. They dont seem as common as other trucks like the Fords. Also when I do see them it is normally a model B not R. Might be a testament to how well they last that not as many people are getting rid of them. Still lurking around craigslist and forums for a few more weeks before I actually get out there and start making offers.

TCS

I think your problem is going to be finding a single axle versus a full screw R-model. I still see plenty of tandem R- models out on the road in the Ct area. Have you considered a single axle KW or Pete? There are more of them out there for cheap money with good CAT and Cummins power. They are much more comfortable and rust free than a Mack,plus air ride would be great for hooking and unhooking to your tag along.

BTW/Don't think for a minute that air ride is a problem with a dump truck.Since I stopped running Macks back in the 80's,air ride KW's are all I run for my tri-axles,tractors and dump trailers.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Got Daytons on all three of mine 250C as well as lowboy. No problems with them.

TCS

I think it is mostly a style/preference thing. Both have served me well........Budds crack from hole to hole and even fall off the truck if not tightened and Daytons will wobble or spin if loose or tightened improperly.The big thing though is anyone with a breaker bar and an 1-1/4" socket can change a Dayton wheel by the side of the road if need be. Doing that with a Budd,particularly a ball seat Budd can be a different matter which usually means a call to the tire guy. Not really what a backyard operator needs when it comes to additional expenses in today's tough economy.

illinoisboy

Occupation
contractor
agreed on the R-model macks. I have an 80 and love it. 5spd, turned up pump, straight pipe...Not to mention the old Macks just look awesome.

buckfever

GMC brigadier (sp?), detroit motor (prefer 6-71), 9 speed road ranger. Can run those things for pennies and they just won't die.

SRF

GMC brigadier (sp?), detroit motor (prefer 6-71), 9 speed road ranger. Can run those things for pennies and they just won't die.

I hope this is true, because I just purchased a single axle 86 Brigadier with a turo charged Detroit a few months ago to haul dirt and tow a skid steer, trying to start a small excavating business. I have had people tell me that they are bad on gas and nothing but trouble, but I like it.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=dxoc5v&s=6

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=fl8tn6&s=6