• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Any problems with 268?

ditch digger

Looking at a Cat 268 for Sons snow removal business. Any know problems?
Cat has the best service in his area. He was also looking at 252 and 262s but came a 268 that looks like a ok deal.

barklee

Looking at a Cat 268 for Sons snow removal business. Any know problems?
Cat has the best service in his area. He was also looking at 252 and 262s but came a 268 that looks like a ok deal.

I have a 246c and 246b model Cats. They have both been great machines, they just eat throttle cables and have misc A/C troubles. The only thing i can say is stay away from the Cats with the Perkins engines. I have heard many horror stories about those engines in this application. Good Luck!

ditch digger

What happens to the perkins in the skid steers . I have Perkins in 2 Cat backhoes. so far so go.
Hard starters in cold weather.
I have a Cat CP 433C compactor it could even have a Perkins.
I have only own case skid steers.

xcmark

Occupation
construction
What happens to the perkins in the skid steers . I have Perkins in 2 Cat backhoes. so far so go.
Hard starters in cold weather.

YUP but a block heater and 20 min with a small generator get it warm enough to fire in a lower 49 temps. Mine will fire on its own down to about 15*f

barklee

Read "another perkins pukes" on this site. I have heard of several stories like this. I dont know for sure if the 268 had this engine option or not. Just making you aware there is a potential.

Digdeep

Read "another perkins pukes" on this site. I have heard of several stories like this. I dont know for sure if the 268 had this engine option or not. Just making you aware there is a potential.

The engines that had trouble were only the 2.2L engines. They had head gasket issues and oil pick-up tube issues. The 3.3L engine that is in the 268 is actually a CAT branded Mitsubishi that is currently still running in the C series machines. It has been virtually bullet proof in the field as most Japanese engines are.

ditch digger

Is the Mitsubishi engine in other cat machines. End of this week I will be looking at Cat 252, 262 and the 268.
Son wants a 102 inch snow bucket .

hjetty

We have ran one for 2400 hrs and have had great luck. 90 % of the last 800 hrs have been with a high flow tree saw.

Believe it or not the worst issue so far as been a cracked oil pan, don't ask me, not a scratch on it just looked like fatigue.

all in all, we have had great luck.

no hard starts here in central ks. at about 20 degrees

durallymax

I have a 246c and 246b model Cats. They have both been great machines, they just eat throttle cables and have misc A/C troubles. The only thing i can say is stay away from the Cats with the Perkins engines. I have heard many horror stories about those engines in this application. Good Luck!

There is a bulletin of some sort on the A/C for the C series at least pertaining to the A/C condensor fans popping fuses all the time if that is you problem.

To the OP. The C series have more creature comforts but the B series I think is still much nicer to just jump in and quick get something done.

ditch digger

Found a 2010 Cat 262C 850 hrs. Thinking of going with it. Fully loaded everything but tunes.
It is what they call radio ready? Cat wants $750.00 for Radio$$$$.

Is there less costly radios that would fit and plug right in?

SchuLace

Found a 2010 Cat 262C 850 hrs. Thinking of going with it. Fully loaded everything but tunes.
It is what they call radio ready? Cat wants $750.00 for Radio$$$$.

Is there less costly radios that would fit and plug right in?

Panasonic CQCP137U is what we put in most Cat machines. I think it is right around $150ish for the radio and another $25 for the harness needed to connect the machine and radio.

durallymax

You can put any radio in that you want. I had the diagram the other day of what each color wire did the other day and threw it away. I suggest a marine radio. The Heavy duty radio's work too but there is less options. Jensen is the big seller and they have a lot of issues with internal failures resulting in uncontrollable volume.

A CD player is your choice. It won't hold up to the dust, if you are a very neat operator it might, but for most people it will fail after awhile. Buy an MP3 player, or buy a USB radio and upload all of your tunes to a thumb drive. I guess you could just listen to AM/FM though too. Around here our radio stations are all oldies, or the top 40 from ryan seacrest, only one decent rock station left.

If you need the install instructions the dealer should be able to get you it. otherwise I think I still have them. The Document number is REHS4045-01

If you want to double check prices here are the 4 part numbers for different radios listed on the sheet I have. I do not know any specs on them just the numbers. If the deal isn't done yet make the salesman throw the parts needed and a radio in to sweeten the deal.

200-5729
241-4936
284-8953
331-5297

In addition to either the CAT radio, or your radio of choice, you will need one of each of the following to complete the installation in a radio ready machine.

179-4324 : Locknut
8T-0328 : Hardened Washer

The Following parts should be located inside the radio cover if your machine is radio ready.

8E-1118: Antenna
200-5728 : Radio Harness
9U-8746 : Coaxial Cable
258-4039 : Spacer

Its pretty simple to do. Basically pull everything out of that compartment, flip the cab up, unbolt the l bracket from the box that will house the radio. Cut the correct holes into the box for the radio. Take the metal sleeve for the radio and install it as you would in any other DIN situation, then install the radio. Slide the large ring of foam around the radio from behind the cab and remove the backing paper so it will stick to the back of cab. Plug the harness and coax into the radio. Slide the cables through their proper holes in the box and slide the box tight to the cab then reattach the L bracket to the radio with the nut you had to buy and reattach it to to the cab as it was. Cut the zip tie if needed to remove the radio harness from the harness it is fastened to then plug the radio harness into it. Bring the cab back down some and install the antenna on the left side of the cab, then attach coax cable. Stick the remaining pieces of insulating foam where they belong on the back of the box to seal it up and after testing the radio bolt the cab back down.

good luck.