• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Any opinions or experience with Hanomag 400D?

Z24O

Not content with just an excavator I now want to get a dozer to clear some scrub on my hills ,clean up a couple of dams,put a few access roads in,etc
The dilemma i face is whether to get a newer,lower houred import like the komatsu/mitsubishi/furukawa D2 sized machines or get an older,bigger machine around D4/5 size.
What scares me is the cost of repairs and parts for the bigger gear.
Anyhow i have the opportunity to get a 1984 Hanomag 400D with 6300 hours on it for around $20K, 100hp perkins is a bit smoky when cold,really got to stand on the left brake but the guy will put in new brake linings for me for the cost of parts ($1500),believe it's a powershift,tracks look pretty good from the photos,D5 size
Anyhow here are a few snaps,fire away with advice and opinions
thanks fellas
h1.jpg

h2.jpg

h5.jpg

h6.jpg

h3.jpg

h4.jpg

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
I dunno how prices are in western austrailia, but 20k seems a little high for that machine. There is one on machinerytrader for 5.5k...

The sprockets dont look new, how are the pins?

Other thing that scares me is I dont find too many other ones out there on machinery trader... so parts might be getting scarce and or expensive...

JimInOz

Hanomag

Hi Z240
A bloke rang me yesterday about spares for the Hanomag....I had no idea where to send him for parts.I get a few 400/600 owners looking for parts.The only place I can think of is Europe.
I'd steer clear...they were an average machine when sold 20 years ago with parts backup...but not attractive now with no parts backup.
$20K will buy a very tidy Komatsu D21,if it's big enough to do your job.Lots of dealers trying to sell them now...& doing deals.
A D3/931 still sells for $25K....you can get a 955 for same money.

PM me,if you like.
Jim

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
I wouldn't buy it, Z240. Friends of mine had a later model Hanomag loader, they being of German descent, but they couldn't wait to get rid of it. It only did a bit over 3,000 hours, but there was always something wrong with it and as far as I know, no one handles them here any more, so parts are probably non existent. The Perkins engine would be about the only thing in it's favour.

Rn'R.