• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Any one had to do this before

Monrad

Occupation
Monrad Earthworx
I had the pleasure to pull this bad boy out of the drink

Attachments

• caeleigh and work 054.jpg
    caeleigh and work 054.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 874
  • caeleigh and work 057.jpg
    caeleigh and work 057.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 882
  • caeleigh and work 063.jpg
    caeleigh and work 063.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 874

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Oh! I HATE when that happens!

Never had to do that, but I've been to a few plane crashes with the Civil Air Patrol. (CAP volunteers will often provide "crash site security", babysitting wreckage until the accident investigators have the time to come and do their thing. It relieves the local police of the need to have somebody there to babysit.)

At least that one is still in one piece. Do you have any more details?

Monrad

Occupation
Monrad Earthworx
Yeah it was fairly sweet, little bit of body wrinkle where we had the strops to pull it out, poor thing had just had new avionics installed to.
Was a student pilot , to make it worse the runway he was trying to land on is so bloody long, nearly 1000m, only need couple hundred to put a cessna down, can be done in 100 on a precision landing. He was slight tail wind :beatsme and didnt touch the deck till bout 3/4 from the end, locked up and slid the rest of the way into you quessed it the towns septic holding ponds :drinkup poor fella will never live it down.

atgreene

Dealt with a few of those when I was assigned to the Air Rescue Station. They do ok in slide-off, it's when they auger in that there is problems:eek:.

Monrad

Occupation
Monrad Earthworx
Yip surely is, they are awesome planes, get ya anywhere and strong as hell

Monrad

Occupation
Monrad Earthworx
Dealt with a few of those when I was assigned to the Air Rescue Station. They do ok in slide-off, it's when they auger in that there is problems:eek:.

Yeah slid a few myself in the past, dont wanna do the auger though, ive had friends do that and no return

ZAXIS

Occupation
Mgr./Member of Rainwater Construction Company, LLC
Nice ORANGE Iron Monrad--Is she a ZX120 or ZX130?? By the way, great pictures too.

special tool

Yeah it was fairly sweet, little bit of body wrinkle where we had the strops to pull it out, poor thing had just had new avionics installed to.
Was a student pilot , to make it worse the runway he was trying to land on is so bloody long, nearly 1000m, only need couple hundred to put a cessna down, can be done in 100 on a precision landing. He was slight tail wind :beatsme and didnt touch the deck till bout 3/4 from the end, locked up and slid the rest of the way into you quessed it the towns septic holding ponds :drinkup poor fella will never live it down.

Uuuuuuh - so who drew the short straw and got to put the sling on???

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I was wondering whether that was a grass strip, or if it was an off-airport landing. It never occurred to me that it wasn't fresh water though. Yuck.

...little bit of body wrinkle where we had the strops to pull it out,

We saw a home video in the CAP once, of one of their planes (don't recall whether it was a 172 or a 182), that had made a forced landing in a farmer's field. (Engine failure.) They got an Apache helicopter from the Army Reseve to airlift it out and take it back to the nearest airport. Pretty interesting to see. I remember that they'd called the factory to find out where exactly to put the slings, but darned if I remember exactly where they were supposed to go. Although, in this case, I guess the weight of the water might've been too much to lift it without damage no matter where the slings were...

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
Lifting over sprocket police reporting in :D

That thing must be pretty light if you could pick it up with the stick out like that!

Monrad

Occupation
Monrad Earthworx
weight varys from bout 1600 to 2400 lbs, you have to lift it very slowly while the water runs out or you wreck it.

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
I got to do something kinda similar two summers ago, the transmission on this Bell 205 was making metal and needed changing... This was at a remote minesite road construction camp where everything was flown in by an MI-26... They had an IT-28 and this 330 there, the guy who I was working with wanted to use the IT-28 but I convinced him that the 330 was the much better choice... We didn't trust any of the "operators" they had there so I had to step up to the plate... It all went perfect, had her up and flying again in 2 days.

Attachments

• IM004805.jpg
    IM004805.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 185
  • IM004811.jpg
    IM004811.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 191
  • IM004812.jpg
    IM004812.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 191
  • IM004819.jpg
    IM004819.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 190
  • IM004831.jpg
    IM004831.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 188

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Any one had to do this before:

There is a big nut, that holds the rotor on the shaft (mast).

Any one want to take a guess at the "slang term"... lol

OCR