• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Any Idea's ???

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
Allen's are usually pretty soft will drill with any bit then pound an easy out or some other pointy object in there with a bit of taper and pull!........TIO

maytag

Occupation
Hydraulic technician in a steel mill
This is a common problem in heavy industry too. I've always been able to get the piece out with compressed air. The most creative solution I saw was watching another mechanic take an energized 24VDC coil and sliding it up on the broken Allen wrench to make an electro magnet and fishing out the broken piece with it.

Good luck,
Tom

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
"Have you tried a telescoping magnet? You never know, might get lucky."

That's a magic wand right there Willie.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Till the magnet pulls out of the "magic snap on wand" :banghead) that will make you go take a break & think what you done wrong in your past life!! yes it did happen to me & its not funny!!!

FSERVICE...there has to be a helluva story associated with that. :falldownlaugh

FSERVICE

FSERVICE...there has to be a helluva story associated with that. :falldownlaugh

it never fails its either really HOT or cold/snowing when this customer calls & says his wrench sick/busy to fix something.. ( read already screwed up something or broke something off when he tells the boss to call me) it was 102 out at a demo site no shade to be found. get there their wrench is leaving (to go somewhere cooler im sure) stops me as im pulling up & says " you might have a little trouble with 1 of those bolts holding that valve on" I thought yea whatever when I got to looking at it he had broke 1 bolt off & the other he broke the allen key off in the bolthead.... thought this is worth a shot got out trusty snap on magic wand "bonk" pulled up on it & it felt really light that's when the sweat dripping in my eyes I thought "no way there is no piece of anything on the end of my wand" wipe sweat & start to think its time for a break & think bout why I love my job so much :)

rdr99

Slide a piece of copper tubing over the head of the allen bolt, then run a stick of welding rod down the tubing to the bolt. The rod won't stick to the copper tubing. Could you drive an internal torx socket over the head of the bolt?