• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Any experience with one of these?

Reuben

We are looking at getting one of these for digging a footer on a 95k sf building.Based on the geo reports we are certainly going to hit stone.Does anyone know anything at all about this.I know they won a award for it,they say it works good but I would like to know for certain...... http://leattach.com/multiripperbucket.htm

brian falcone

i think it will get you through shale or loose rock....once you hit solid ledge nothing will dig through it. we have a few 15 to 20 ton machines,if the geo test shows ledge we ussually bring in the 320 with a narrow trenching bucket.most of the time you cant work and pick at the rock and get the forms in ...if it can't get through we rent a hammer or blast. i dont think this bucket will prove to be a do-all attachment. solid rock is tough to move. brian

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums brian falcone! :drinkup

Reuben

i think it will get you through shale or loose rock....once you hit solid ledge nothing will dig through it. we have a few 15 to 20 ton machines,if the geo test shows ledge we ussually bring in the 320 with a narrow trenching bucket.most of the time you cant work and pick at the rock and get the forms in ...if it can't get through we rent a hammer or blast. i dont think this bucket will prove to be a do-all attachment. solid rock is tough to move. brian

Ya I know what you are saying,the videos seem to show it rippin some pretty serious rock,it isnt solid though.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
If its fractured just use a rock bucket with tiger teeth if not get ready to blast. Unless you know what your doing a hammer is no way to break rock.

Big Iron

Occupation
Project Manager
We typically use an extreme duty V-bucket (this is my 22" WBM, which needs some dental work as you can see) when the digging get real tough. As dozerboy said if it isn't fractured, get the powder monkey on sight.

Attachments

• V-bucket.jpg.JPG
    V-bucket.jpg.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 867
  • rock bucket.jpg
    rock bucket.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 859
  • ex duty rock bucket.jpg.JPG
    ex duty rock bucket.jpg.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 862

iron kid

Occupation
owner 12 man team
still looks like soft rock to me
I have a friend with one for his 330 and loves it for lime stone but,
he still got a hammer too on a 200

tylermckee

that rock looks like it digs easier than the glacial till around here. I don't know what the rock is in your area but if you have a decent amount of rock to move, or trench to dig you pretty much have to blast. I've spent days on a 4,000lb hammer trying to get enough room for sidewalk, had to break an area about 10 feet long, 3 feet wide, and only had to go down about 2-3 feet. Even then all i did was wear out the bit, still had to have a rock drill moved in to swiss cheese the area so we could actually break it. Even the drill wore out a brand new drill head in 1 day.

Don't underestimate that rock.

glenhd

Looks like it's shale.I don't think it would work to good up here in the Granite State got some pretty hard rock up here.Would love to try one though to see how it digs in the soft ledge.Guy looks kinda rough on that machine..

glen

DirtWorker

This i know for sure, if that bucket hanging on the stick of a 385 can hold up with out tearing its self apart that is impressive in my books.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I just watched the vid and it was sand stone thats a joke. I wouldn't count on that bucket of anything solid. I've dug sand stone with a 4 yd massX bucket on a 345 its hard but nothing like rock.

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I could see that working in soft rock/ sandstone. But when you start dragging the teeth on it and all you get is a bunch a white smoke it's time to get a hammer or blast it.