• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Any Business owners have a life?

Beel

I have worked in heavy civil for 14 years and was asked by a friend and former co worker if I wanted to go in with him doing utility and paving work in South Florida. I like the idea of being at the helm, but then I look at what it really takes to survive in THIS line of work and it just seems like you will have to live and breath the business, im not so sure I am committed to that. I know the headaches that come with this line of work, and the margins in this neck of the woods are razor thin (mucho competitiono :D) Would like to hear from the small business owners if the sacrifice is true. Also wanted to note that I have rarely seen a contractor who doesn't look 10 years older than he/she really is....

lantraxco

It's like a drug, you get addicted to it, like it, can't stop. But there is nothing else. What is this "life" thing you speak of?

Beel

I think you just answered my question! Yeah, I like too many other things, and have only really been in it for the money. Dont get me wrong, I enjoy being up early in the morning with the guys and playing with machines all day... but on the flip side I enjoy traveling, scuba diving, and I also playing in a band. I think you hit the nail on the head, its not as if I said contractors dont have a "life", but like you insinuated... its like a drug and there is nothing else. Thats what I see when I meet some of these other business owners. I don't think I would make it, because its never been THAT much of a thrill to me.

lantraxco

I think you just answered my question! Yeah, I like too many other things, and have only really been in it for the money. Dont get me wrong, I enjoy being up early in the morning with the guys and playing with machines all day... but on the flip side I enjoy traveling, scuba diving, and I also playing in a band. I think you hit the nail on the head, its not as if I said contractors dont have a "life", but like you insinuated... its like a drug and there is nothing else. Thats what I see when I meet some of these other business owners. I don't think I would make it, because its never been THAT much of a thrill to me.

It can be done, but you have to have the skill, luck, lack of obsession with control, business acumen, etc. to quickly grow to a point where you hire people you can delegate to and trust to do their parts without a lot of direct supervision after a time. Most contractors I have seen do not fit this profile, they're too hands on, too controlling, and cannot trust their employees enough to give them full rein. Just my observations, YMMV.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
How true, how true.. BUT.. its like any job.. once you've been doing it for 10-20-30 years, that's who you become.. its hard to turn it off..
Khansen comes to mind.. his wife made him go on a 1 month long cruise.. and we ALL ribbed him.. saying he's gonna spend most of his time in the engine room..
As a matter of fact, he's still on the boat.. LOL I cant wait for the story's when he gets back.. there oughta be some doosies..
Best of luck, what ever you decide..

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
A month long cruise? No way man, no way. That would drive me absolutely insane. There's dirt to be moved, gravel to spread, trees to be knocked down...lots of awesome fun stuff like that. And a life? Why yes, I have one. I'm enjoying it right now as a matter of fact. We got done early, so I'm sipping a diet dew and checking things out on HEF. And I only have three calls to make back to customers later today. What more could a big kid want?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Don't take this the wrong way but with the mindset you express in the post above IMHO you should not be in this business, at least not as a boss anyway....
There's room in this world for all sorts and the last thing people should be doing is trying to hammer square pegs into round holes.

I'm lucky after spending a lifetime in the game it still puts a smile on my face. That's why "retirement" lasted about 18 months until I got a phone call which went a bit like "I'm calling on the off chance you're bored & miserable. If that's the case I have the answer to both........" A couple of months later I was on a plane to a distant land...happy daze....

Cat_man320

Well , it depends on how small the business is . I've been self employed in heavy civil since 84 and 15 yrs previous to that I was with my dad . Got close to 60 yrs punched . and still at it. when you are small business , you do the operating , you do the repairs , wife usually do the books . There were many weekends that wife and I want to get away for a few days but a basement needs to be dug , topsoil needs to be screened , repairs to be done and with profit margins in the toilet, if you don't work you don't eat . But there comes a time when (if you live long enough) ,that you shut it down Friday evenings and the hell with it till Monday morning . I jump on the Harley and go and now do what I want when I want and enjoy the fruits of the hard labour. take that Hemi car for a spin , go to the cabin etc etc . It will take a dedication like no other to be a small business person unless like said that you can hire people to do the work for you and even then , it's not a picnic . My feelings toward it now is "Never seen a Brinks Truck chasing a hearse yet"

movindirt

Depends on what kind of a boss you'll be, I'd rather work for someone who isn't skipping out of work all the time to go boating or riding or whatever. I know a lot of guys who are very successful who don't have much of a life, burning the candle at both ends. I personally like working all the time, usually means I'm making money... most of the time anyway... Nothing like having 40 hours in by thursday morning!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Well , it depends on how small the business is . I've been self employed in heavy civil since 84 and 15 yrs previous to that I was with my dad . Got close to 60 yrs punched . and still at it. when you are small business , you do the operating , you do the repairs , wife usually do the books . There were many weekends that wife and I want to get away for a few days but a basement needs to be dug , topsoil needs to be screened , repairs to be done and with profit margins in the toilet, if you don't work you don't eat . But there comes a time when (if you live long enough) ,that you shut it down Friday evenings and the hell with it till Monday morning . I jump on the Harley and go and now do what I want when I want and enjoy the fruits of the hard labour. take that Hemi car for a spin , go to the cabin etc etc . It will take a dedication like no other to be a small business person unless like said that you can hire people to do the work for you and even then , it's not a picnic . My feelings toward it now is "Never seen a Brinks Truck chasing a hearse yet"

I agree Cat_Man320, well said.

A little about my history. I started out building homes as that is what my father did and it was an easy (relatively speaking) path to start my own business, fresh out of college. I grew up in the home building business working on job sites from an early age but truth be known I hated building houses. However I made some good money for several years in that business but my heart was always in moving dirt and heavy equipment.

As time went on I wanted to get into dirt moving and developing so the obvious choice was to self perform developing our own lots and sell lots to other builders. It went well for a while.

Built that company to 15+ employees, nice office and $7-10M in revenues. Had a vertical side for multi-family and single family construction and a horizontal side for developing lots and land. Business was good but there was no time for life. I found myself bound by the organization that I had created. There were too many vacations, trips and social functions I should have taken but I had to feed the machine as there were many depending on it.

Then the crash of 08/09 hit and we all know how bad that was. I lost everything we had of monetary value. In the aftermath, I didn't dwell on bad business decisions or the woe is me sort of thing, I regretted not taking the time to enjoy life a little more.

Started over in 2012 but with a different approach. Now I have a small company with 4 employees in the field including me with a nice diversified client base of retail, restaurant, institutional and residential clients.

Several things the crash taught me -

1- Always take time for yourself and your family, first and foremost.
2- Be diversified in your client base, when one segment of the market is down another is not affected.
3- Be lean and mean. 10-15 year old paid for equipment maintained will earn just as much as new paint and a payment
4- Manage your cash flow like it's the last drop of water on the planet.
5- Vet your GC's and clients before even bidding a job.
6- Always take time for yourself and your family, first and foremost.

1 and 6 box in all the rest.;)

This business will run you to death if you let it as there is always a deadline and there are always projects behind, usually at no fault of your own but being the first one onsite and one of the last to leave we bear the brunt of the schedule.

I don't get stressed anymore about too much work and how we're going to handle it or not having enough. As you build your client base and gain a good reputation, when you're needing a project to fill in, the phone will ring or an email will be in the in box.

Tomorrow the wife and I are driving to Atlanta to board a plane for an 11 day trip out of the country. I have one project to bid by Friday and I have my crew set up for a short week of work. The sun is going to come up and the sun is going to go down, dirt will be moved. I will have internet service but no phone service, I could have phone service but I don't want my phone messing with my vacation, it'll wait.:cool2

When I leave this earth, I'll leave it how I came in, covered in blood and screaming but until then I'm going to build a another business but not let it run me. Dirt will be moved, concrete will be poured, steel will be erected regardless who is doing it, however your time is finite.

It's taken me 20 years in this business of ups and downs to come to the realization that no project is more important than your personal time. Now with that being said I had a sweet project come across the desk with 62K CY's of fill, 10 acres of clearing and several thousand tons of road base to build an access road - yes it's a sickness but one has to balance.:)

Tarhe Driver

Occupation
Comm. Real Est Appraiser-Retired cargo/helo pilot
Go in with him? That sounds like a partnership. The most important, most essential, most critical part of a partnership is a rock-solid dissolution agreement signed by all parties. Think about it. ANYTHING can happen that will make the deal be unwanted, and if you can't get out without huge financial loss, you will be very sorry. Also, think critically -- why does this guy need you? Your credit? Your money? Your knowledge? Your abilities? Consider working for him as an employee for six months to a year to see how well you work together. Thoughts from others?

Welder Dave

I don't think the OP is ready for a start up. Once you're established, if you're lucky and have good people you can take a little time for yourself but it can years to get there and it may never come. To start a profitable business you have to be all in. A tough economy doesn't make it easier.

lantraxco

I'm no contractor, never did like dirt work, lol... I started my little heavy equipment business in late 2007 just in time to lose everything in the next couple years... I've made some mistakes also along the way that didn't help in the recovery, if I had had decent life insurance I wouldn't be here typing now. Well that and the dog wouldn't let me go damn her anyway, but she left me in 2011 having delivered me back to my home town. Miss her and my Mom every day. If I don't give up and have a little luck going forward I may get back to where I was in 2007 before I die. Somewhere in there I would like to maybe take my daughter to Disneyland before she outgrows it. The goals have been reduced to not being hungry or homeless for her sake. YMMV, hopefully.

CaptainAnalyzer

Occupation
Young business owner
I'm 24, finishing school this May. I've had my side business sole proprietorship equipment service and welding thing since 2014. My friends all tell me I'm going to hate being married to the game, but I can say I'm addicted to the industry. I love the insight from older, more experienced business owners such as CM and Nige.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

crane operator

If you define having a life, as what you do after work hours, then no, a business owner doesn't have much of a life. The rewards come from other things.

I enjoy what I do every day. I'm outdoors, doing a challenging job, and making a little money. I've made better money working for other people, but have enjoyed being a business owner. There's also much more stress, and its harder to leave work at work.

You don't have to put up with upstairs management b.s. Just employees bs, customer bs, insurance bs, banker bs, government bs, and equipment bs. It seems the less of the latter things I have to deal with, the less stressed I am.

A lot of people think the small business ownership is a dream (vacation, and take off whenever you want, $ just rolls in, look at all that equipment you have, etc.), but its hard work, and the success rate isn't real great.

Small business association says of new business :66% survive 2 years, 50% last 5 years, 30% last 10 years or more.

I'm sure the success rate for partnerships are worse than for sole ownership. I think average life of a partnership is less than 5 years. (couldn't find exact figures)

The great thing about owning is that the decisions are yours to make. The hard thing is that the decisions are all yours to make, and if you make a $1,000, $10,000, or $100,000 mistake, it comes out of your pocket.

If your looking to just make more $, or have more free time for your hobbies, I think your better off working for someone else.

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
What every one said above about running you own business is spot on correct.

About partnerships: An old wise guy told me you shouldn't enter a partnership unless your life depended on it. I.e. don't do it unless you are going to die if you don't take a partner on. From my experience, I think that is good advice.

JDOFMEMI

Lots of good advice here already.

I would add that I have seen quite a few people who get into business and then spend most of their time "playing", vacations, toys, whatever. They usually look like they are making it big, for a while, but the lack of attention to business and free spending ways put them out of business in a hurry.

Another point is that most businesses in construction fail not due to poor work or a loosing job, but poor business practices. You can do everything right on the job and a few missed steps in the office can sink you, so make sure to cover the business side, and get help sooner instead of later if you have questions.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
About partnerships: An old wise guy told me you shouldn't enter a partnership unless your life depended on it. I.e. don't do it unless you are going to die if you don't take a partner on. From my experience, I think that is good advice.

I agree wholeheartedly with that advice. Human nature will ruin a best intentioned partnership.