• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Any brand log trucks

JPV

Here is a question, how come there are no old growth red fir or second growth yellow fir? I have never seen a young yellow fir. Does something change over time?

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Here is a question, how come there are no old growth red fir or second growth yellow fir? I have never seen a young yellow fir. Does something change over time?
Yes, as a Douglas fir tree gets mature to the end of its actual productive lifespan it stops growing for the most part, it will add rings each year but nothing like a younger one so much like a human and their blood they pretty much die off and then it ages to a yellow color.

werkhorse

Not sure if the Hayes management was upset about the loss of the initial Pacific employees, I would imagine there were some sore people for a few days. I haven't ever heard any details or reasons behind the parting of ways. On the Pacific side those who came up with the early Pacific model nomenclature did show a bit of gratitude towards Hayes. Discovered by Darren Hingston, the letters in the early model numbering can be re-arranged to spell "Hayes Mfg. Co." with a couple other letters added in (notably a W). I will see if I can find a copy of an article in which he describes this in a bit more detail.
Hi, it's Werkhorse here ... aka Darren Hingston ...
As Scott has mentioned I did indeed work out the early letter code for the Pacific's when I was researching the 15 Pacific's that came to Australia in the 1960s ... All came to Tasmania, the little island state at the bottom of Australia.
Screenshot_20221212-201933~2.png Screenshot_20221212-202023~2.png Screenshot_20221212-202038~2.png

The D and W denote Double reduction or Worm drive.

A copy of this was then sent to Larry to put in the Pacific historical files.