• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Any brand log trucks

Crummy

Ain't seen you in a while.
My plan of taking it easy went horribly awry. Almost full time at the quarry, plus got the shop put together and seems everybody wants something done. And running the 'ol dump truck, hay season....
I picked up a '76 W900, haven't even had time to work on it. I guess I'm collecting A models now.

Welder Dave

The mills that you log for set the rate. You can negotiate some but they're so fucking cheap that if they can see that you can pay for a choker in cash they will cut your rate.
Does your competition have any influence on pricing ie/ by accepting lower rates? Quite a few years ago trucking operators rates here got cut because a lot of immigrants started trucking companies and offered lower than the going rates by a fair amount. Previously established truckers had to lower their rates if they wanted any work hauling snow or doing any municipal or other gov't. work. I think they formed kind of a union after that but rates were still lower.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Speaking of working for free; I noticed that Willapa Log is going to auction off equipment later this month.
Yeah, I saw that. They don't have anything that's even worth bidding on anymore sadly. Unfortunately they never kept up with the times and the kids hearts weren't in it like Richards was. He just got tired of bailing them out time after time again and without being able to get a good crew you're just pouring money down the toilet

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
And yes competition absolutely does set the rate. Sadly the last 10 years or more like 13 years of good times have brought out a lot of contractors that weren't around before and have never seen a recession. They bought every new piece of glam gear that the timber companies were pushing on them and are at their mercy to work for free. I just won't do it.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Working for the company store-and how long has that game been going on.
Far too long and you see it all the time guys do it so they can " get their foot in the door ".
And not to sound arrogant but I have talent and skills that the majority of loggers today do not have so I'm not going to use them or teach them for free.