• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anti sandblast radiator screen

Yellowironfan

Hi all
I am restoring a case 1150b dozer and noticed the parts manual stated if equipped with pusher fan that an anti sandblast screen is originally installed. Well not only is this not installed I am having a heck of a time locating any information on this part. The parts catalog shows a bad picture of a honeycomb screen that must be sandwiched between the radiator and shroud I am asking is this a necessary to have this it looks like the newer versions of the 1150 don’t list it any more Any input is welcomed. I’m restoring this for personal use I’m not a contractor

Tinkerer

Does the the 450 have a pusher fan on it now ?
The shroud isn't needed if you don't work in a lot of sand.
If the engine bay has side panels there shouldn't be any problem with sand going thru the radiator.
Sand carried around on the tracks is what causes erosion of the radiator.
I have seen quite few radiators destroyed from sand.

Yellowironfan

Thank you Tinkerer for responding. My machine is an 1150 and yes the machine has a pusher fan. I purchased this used and abused so I’m in the process of restoring this back mechanically to a useful condition. Here on the east coast unless on the beach can’t say we have much sand. I certainly won’t be using the machine in any sand. The machine does have the complete set of engine side covers which will cut down considerably on any dirt from getting drawn in. With the difficulty locating this part and not have access to an original to possibly copy to make my own I just needed someone’s opinion whether I can run the machine without it or need to keep pressing to locate one. Thanks again I’ll take your comment as confirmation that it really comes down to the intended use of the machine Best Regards

Welder Dave

I had the rad. in my Cat track loader re-cored and paid extra to have it dipped (in solder/zinc?) to make the fins stronger and better protected against sandblasting. If any dirt falls off the bucket onto the front of the hood it tends to find its way inside and the fan blows it into the upper corners of the rad. The only door on the hood is for access to the rad. cap, dipstick and oil fill. It's a little bizarre how the dirt gets in but I think it gets heated from the rad. and turns into finer dust. The original rad. was sandblasted pretty good. I try to keep the hood clean but sometimes a lump of dirt falls on it.