• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ANOTHER WHAT KIND OF TOOL IS THIS

Clyde Hathaway

From my Grandfather's toolbox - an early 20th century farmer. The wooden handle has two fasteners holding the two piece wooden handle on the steel. They are not rivets. The wood is 5 1/2 inches long and the metal 6 1/4 inches long from the end of the wood. The bevel at the working end is sloped back at exactly 20 degrees. I am giving my son the toolbox soon as I have refinished it. It contained a rivet tool and rivets seemingly for leather working and wood planes and pipe wrenches along with this item. I20240321_140853.jpg20240321_140946.jpg

Clyde Hathaway

Ha Ha! I don't think it was a type of chisel because area on handle is round wood and shows no sign of being "struck".
The narrow " chisel" end is not smooth but uniformly slightly rough.
Upon closer inspection, on the top, opposite the flatter side there is evidence of something being "struck" indentations are many. Could it have something to do with riveting bridles? There is a large rivet tool and brass rivets in the toolbox as well.

skyking1

That's a good one.
My dad's answer to anything he was unsure of, that's a good one. Said with confidence and appreciation for what was obvioiusly not a bad one, or even a mediocre one.