• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Another question about Dozer models. This time Deere 700j

MattR

I posted a question a while back about a d6n replacing my d6c and old d7e. I've been talking with other contractors and doing some reading. We do a multitude types of work. Mostly opening up Forest Service Roads and General Excavating. But once in a while we do have some heavy hog work. Rock, large stumps big dirt. My plans were to eliminate both older dozers and get one newer one. And my thoughts at the time was a D6n. I understand that 6-way blades are not as forgiving for hog work, but I thought it would be a good choice as an all-around machine. I have since reconsidered my plan and I'm thinking of selling only my d6c and keeping the d7e around for the big hog work.

So to replace the d6c I am now looking at three machines. Cat d6n, cat d5n, d6k and John Deere 700j. There's a local large contractor that has all of them and he said he prefers by far the 700j. I would really appreciate any of your input on this because to me it is kind of a big purchase. I'm really excited to get into something with a cab and radio after all the years on open stations also. Another question, I know 9000 is getting up there but would you be scared of a really nice 700j with 9000 hours? I'm looking at a real nice one now that definitely wasn't in rock or forest but it does have 9000 hrs. It's a really really nice shape otherwise.

Anybody with experience with the 700j in particular, let me know your thoughts please. I like the idea that it's capable of doing some fine or trim work but I also needed to be able to do some mild hogging.

Thank you again

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
I have no experience with the 700j but 2 different local dudes here say they don’t grade as good as their 650js. They claim they’re not as well balanced. I looked at one the other day but it was more than I wanted to spend. I’m sure it haha the ability to grade better than I can make it grade lol!

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
I have had a 700J LT with a ripper for about 6 years. It has around 6,000 hours on it now. I think its a 2010-11. Mine has been a very reliable machine. The previoise owner took really good care of it and i have continued to do the same. Its had no major breakdowns, just some hoses and a few electrical components.
They are very comfortable to operate and the visability is pretty good, mine has full cab with AC and heat. I think the ripper makes it very well balanced and the extra wieght helps. I would definitally buy one again.
I have ran a couple newer Cats in the same size but not for enough time to really have an opinon one way or another.
The higher hours wouln't really scare me if it has good records. Also depends what they were doing with it.

MattR

Yep, they sure look like really nice machines and everyone I know that owns one Bragg's them up. I'm traditionally a cat guy myself, but as I'm getting older I'm starting to realize that whatever does the best job at an affordable price is the one I'm in love with now days. Thanks again. If anyone has more to add I certainly like to hear it

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
I have a little of everything. couple Cat pieces of equipment. A Volvo excavator. The JD 700J. I had a Hyundai excavator for 10 years. They all break down at sometime. They all get the job done also.

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Yes I also heard that a ripper or a winch on the back balances out makes it balance out very nicely. We had an 850 C which was a very nice tractor as well it was just too big used too much fuel and too heavy I think the 700 is a really good size but I’ve never owned one good luck

dozer777

Occupation
operateur de bulldozer
J’ai posté une question il y a quelque temps sur un d6n remplaçant mon d6c et mon ancien d7e. J’ai parlé avec d’autres entrepreneurs et j’ai fait quelques lectures. Nous faisons une multitude de types de travail. Principalement l’ouverture de routes de service forestier et l’excavation générale. Mais de temps en temps, nous avons du travail lourd à faire. Rocher, grosses souches grosse terre. Mes plans étaient d’éliminer les deux anciens bouteurs et d’en obtenir un plus récent. Et mes pensées à l’époque étaient un D6n. Je comprends que les lames à 6 voies ne sont pas aussi indulgentes pour le travail du porc, mais j’ai pensé que ce serait un bon choix comme une machine complète. J’ai depuis reconsidéré mon plan et je pense à ne vendre que mon d6c et à garder le d7e pour le gros travail de porc.

Donc, pour remplacer le d6c, je regarde maintenant trois machines. Cat d6n, cat d5n, d6k et John Deere 700j. Il y a un grand entrepreneur local qui les a tous et il a dit qu’il préférait de loin le 700j. J’apprécierais vraiment vos commentaires à ce sujet parce que, pour moi, c’est un achat important. Je suis vraiment excité de me lancer dans quelque chose avec un taxi et une radio après toutes ces années sur des stations ouvertes. Une autre question, je sais que 9000 monte là-haut, mais auriez-vous peur d’un très beau 700j avec 9000 heures? J’en regarde un vraiment sympa maintenant qui n’était certainement pas dans la roche ou la forêt, mais il a 9000 heures. C’est une très belle forme sinon.

Toute personne ayant de l’expérience avec le 700j en particulier, faites-moi part de vos pensées s’il vous plaît. J’aime l’idée qu’il est capable de faire un travail fin ou de coupe, mais j’avais aussi besoin d’être capable de faire un peu de porc léger.

Merci encore[/CITATION]