• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Another Grader Question

stretch

Occupation
gopher
I know that most of the models, such as the 12,14,16, and 14 are based on the length of the blades, but what about models such as the 140 and 160? How did they get those numbers?

And Vantage TeS mentioned a 143? :confused: IMO, that seems rather oddball.

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=8552

and 143 is the all wheel drive version of a 14, although the 120, 140 and 160 have optional all wheel drive packages (makes sense right??). They only make a 143 now, but they used to make a 163 as well.

I believe the M series is the first time a 120 will have the all wheel drive option.

Last edited:

66ken

The numbers have nothing to do with blade size. You can get different size blades on all machines.The 143 is the all wheel drive version of the 140. In the M series all wheel drive machines do not have their own numbers.

surfer-joe

Beg to differ 66ken, blade length was the original determining factor in model number. A 12 or a 120 was almost always equipped with a 12' blade, the 14 or 140 with a 14' and so on. The blade length is one thing that has remained fairly constant. Tis true that different length blades can be mounted these days, many contractors have modified their machines blade lengths to suit the work they have at hand. The factory can also accommodate some different lengths depending on orders.

diggerop

Occupation
Plant operator, coal mining/ 25 years
The numbers with the zero on the end have less horsepower, weigh less and have a smaller blade, 14h=14 ft blade, 140m=12 ft blade. I thought all that was explained in the last grader question.
chart from the cat web site, just type in cat and you will find it.

Attachments

• chart 4.jpg
    chart 4.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,465

Dirt Junkie

I think you will find most machines have differant options of blades depending on country of origin and source of where they are made it really depends on our application....we just got quoted a 120M with a 12 and 14 foot blade

Blade Man

I hear from our Parts rep Cat have bolt on 2' blade extensions left or right option. Seems like a good option if you dont need 14' all the time!

cat d9

Occupation
manager and general FO in general
The county here has 140Hs equipt with 14ft moulboard and a 2ft extention

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Extensions were offered on my AW 300 back in 1973. it came with a 13' blade and offered 2, 2' extensions on both ends for a total of up to 17'.

Grader4me

do you install the 2 foot extension on the toe end or the heal end of the blade ?? wouldn't it bend under load ?

I had 2 foot extension on the 140g cat that was mounted on the right side. It has a rugged brace that hooked to the top of the moldboard and another brace on the bottom. Depends on which way your blade is angled when determining the toe and heel. I liked it on the right because it was easier to get the blade under the machine when high lifting the moldboard to the right.
My extension held up well, but you had to use a little common sense when using it. For example when ditching I would always try to use the other side of my blade when cutting the ditch line, especially making heavy cuts. I wouldn't put a lot of pressure on the extension itself as it was the weakest link so to speak.
After years of running the extension it did bend some though. Depending on what you do and how you use it will determine how long it will last.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
I've mounted our 2' extension to our 14' blade and i love it.:)
Now i cover half of the road in one single pass. And my angle is perfect.
Still has some to go on too.;)

But i already see the problem with getting it to last. Seems my welder got to do some more smart solutions on the brackets.

Power? No problem at all, with the constantpressuresystem its just to adjust the pressure, and hit the pedal.
But then, its not a 140M....

Grader4me

MKTEF, would there be any chance of snaping a few pictures of your extension? I would just like to see how it compares with the one that I had.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
I'll take some shots tomorrow morning.
Its a Volvo standard extension.
Its exactly like the ones we had for our Champions.
Exept theese is for a higher blade....the old ones didn't fit....

Motor Grader

Occupation
Technology Solutions Expert
I have a customer running a 12' moldboard with 1' extensions on each end. Thats 14' of board on a 15,000 pound grader. Guess it all comes down to what your grading.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Here u go.

Volvo's do it your self kit.:)
Welded together to fit our graders.

Lowest bracket on the mainblade is factory fitted, the other is welded on.
Both brackets on the extension is welded on.
Main bolts supplied had threads all the way down to the head, our mecanics is searching for bolts with a flange as thick as the two brackets.:cool:

I'm thinking of adding a plate on the top of the main blade brackets to take the forces, instead of transfering everything as shear forces to the bolts.
;)
Any other tips on the go?

Attachments

• DSCF0960 (Small).jpg
    DSCF0960 (Small).jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 727
  • DSCF0961 (Small).jpg
    DSCF0961 (Small).jpg
    69 KB · Views: 724
  • DSCF0963 (Small).jpg
    DSCF0963 (Small).jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 715