• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Another D6R FAULT CODE LIGHT

SidewinderGlenn

Occupation
IUOE #132
D6R ..... Apply brakes for a few seconds .. & the FAULT LIGHT starts flashing & the buzzer going off then on then off then on. This light & buzzer stays on , it seems ...until I can stab the brake pedal just right ... & then all goes back to normal (no light or buzzer).
As long as you just apply the brake for a quick direction change or other needs ... the light/buzzer never comes on .... it only comes on & stays on when I hold the brake for more than a few seconds.
It's done this for several years.

Anyone have an idea what is going on here ?

Thanks ~Glenn

SidewinderGlenn

Occupation
IUOE #132
Not sure what the SERV CODE light is Nige. It's been a few months since I've run it. Memory is getting thinner:beatsme
The Light .. "GEAR / EXCLAMATION POINT" keeps flashing & the buzzer.
The machine is coming to my current job next week ... but I won't be running it. I'll inform the operator of this & tell him to flag me down if it happens to him. I'll get back with you.
I'm currently running a new D6N with Trimble GPS Grade Control & loving it ! It won't push near as hard as the D6R ... but it sure is a nice finish machine.

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
I would say you have a fault with the brake pedal position switch. Does the SERV CODE light on the panel illuminate when the problem occurs..?[/QUOTE

Here is a photo of what Nige is talking about. this screen will have the words( serv code) displayed and it means there is an active fault right now. if you use the info button circled you should be able to access that fault code .
PLEASE LIST S/N and list codes found
it is possible that the machine has a brake oil leak and system pressure is lowered setting off fault alarm
is this a finger tip control or diff steer?
Mark
D6R display.jpg

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
That's the one ........
To check that it's working it should light up when you first turn the key on during the panel self test.
I imagine that 3rd light from the left on the bottom row (power train warning light) is the one that is coming on when the fault occurs ...?

dblaneyfan

Agree with Nige, either the position sensor or the micro/limit switch are the most likely culprit. One is over $200 from your friendly Cat dealer, the other is around $20; get the service codes and it should be a fairly painless fix.

SidewinderGlenn

Occupation
IUOE #132
OK .... this D6R came on my job Friday ... & within minutes the new operator came over to me , asking what was up with the light & buzzer.

Anyway .... I was wrong about which light was flashing. It's bottom row .. second light . The one with brake shoes with exclamation point inside .... & also the Fault Light on down below ... & the intermittent buzzer.

Here's the machine ser # 5LN00741 (It's Diff Steer)
It's also fitted with a Trimble 2 receiver auto grade control system.

Here's what the dash shows when I call for the codes ;
096F03
269F04
298F02
299F13
623F02
692F07
END

Any ideas here guys ?

PS .... stabbing the brake pedal several times while working the machine eliminated the lights & buzzer.

Thanks !
~Glenn

Nige

The light that's going off is not the Power Train, it's for the Park Brake.

Your Diagnostic Codes are:-

030 096 F03 - Monitor System, Fuel Level Sensor, Voltage above normal.
113 269 F04 - Transmission Control, Sensor Power Supply, Voltage below normal.
113 298 F02 - Transmission Control, Service Brake Pedal Switch, Data erratic intermittent or incorrect.
113 299 F13 - Transmission Control, Transmission Lever Position Sensor, Requires Calibration.
113 623 F02 - Transmission Control, Transmission Directional Switch, Data erratic, intermittent or incorrect.
113 692 F07 - Transmission Control, Transmission Solenoid #2, Not responding properly. (for a transmission solenoid the most obvious symptom would be sluggish shifting)

For me the two critical ones on that list are the 298 F02 Service Brake Pedal Switch and the 299 F13 directional control calibration, so long as both are Active right now.

Just a question. As you scroll through the codes on the panel does the SERV CODE icon light up for every one..? If it does not then those codes are logged, in other words they were there once but are not there now. The only codes you have to worry about are the ones where the SERV CODE icon is lit.

SidewinderGlenn

Occupation
IUOE #132
None of the "Codes" have the "SERV CODE" Icon on while displaying the codes. I did notice the SERV CODE was on while the Light/Buzzer was on Friday. The Codes it's showing now must all be "Logged"

Something else weird / Scary about this machine Nige. When I'm running the Shift/Direction option ... in FWD 1 / REV 2 ... If I decel after backing up it bangs like hell into forward ... whether I'm dead stopped or sitting still. If I don't decel & just slam it to FWD (set for 1) ... it's as smooth as glass. It makes NO Slam when running in FWD 1 / REV 1 whether I decel or not.
I have learned to live with the brake light/buzzer over the last few years ... but If I get in a hurry & forget to stop after reversing 2 .. go to neutral .. then go to FWD 1 & I get that big SLAM BANG from the tranny ... it scares the poop out of me, cause it feels like the tranny is gonna fly right out the back end.

I'm going to print out these codes that you identified & give them to my shop man & the owner & see if they are interested in having a look.
I certainly thank you for your time & effort in helping me with this !

Last edited:

Nige

If the SERV CODE icon was lit up when the fault occured I strongly suspect you have either a dodgy service brake pedal position switch or dodgy wiring to said switch. It would probably be worth your while to get at the switch, clean the wiring harness connections to it, and also generally inspect the switch condition. A new switch is about $20 or so but my bet is on dirt and/or damp in the wiring connections to it.

The switch could also be out of adjustment. From the Service Manual - "This diagnostic code is recorded when the status of the service brake pedal switch is wrong. The switch closes the circuit between the battery and the secondary brake solenoid when the service brake pedal is fully pressed. A diagnostic code is recorded when the ECM detects an open circuit and the switch is near the floor." maybe you simply need to do some fiddling with the switch adjustment.....?

Nige

Screenshot_2016-01-18-10-36-08.jpg

Maybe I need to expand a bit on the above post. Connected to the brake pedal you have a rotary position sensor (#4 in the lower right illustration) and a pedal position switch (#58 in the lower left illustration). If the position sensor is sending a signal to the Transmission Control that the pedal is almost at the bottom of its travel but the switch contact status as detected by the same control is still open (remember that the switch contacts are supposed to close as the pedal gets at or near the bottom) - that's when your alarm will go off. A bit of playing around with the switch adjustment to get the contacts to close a tad earlier should cure it.

Edit: I'm not 100% sure but the switch adjustment may actually be in the pedal mechanism - possibly a stop screw with a locknut - rather than an adjustment of the switch position. You may have to play it by ear a bit once you get the cover off the front. Have someone press the pedal down gently and see what works what. Also if it's quiet around you then you may possibly hear the switch click as it makes contact.

Regarding your directional shift bang. I think you need the dealer tech out there with his magic box of tricks to calibrate all the transmission clutches.

Last edited: