• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Another 416C Steering Cylinder Leak

PDG X

Occupation
Owner Operator
Local dealer being of no help. Going on 3 weeks, so far, waiting on a service call …….

For those doing this repair —

After multiple failed attempts to remove the spanner nut using the longest cheater bar that would fit on a spanner wrench, I got the spanner nut off using an air impact chisel in the lands to break the nut free, and off.

Don’t try to cut the nut, just use it in the recesses to break it loose by turning it. The kit has a new one anyway, just don’t f-up the threads on the cylinder trying to cut it. The nut actually survived several rounds with the chisel.

Then, lay a wood block on the right side rod against the end of the cylinder, use a 10# sledge, and push it out the left side of the Axle. It will take several solid hits to release it.

Off to the local cylinder repair to rebuild it.……

AllDodge

Guess I missed something, but while I took the nut off I found out it did not need to be taken off to rebuild

PDG X

Occupation
Owner Operator
If the U-joints at the end of the cylinder rod don‘t come off, you’re stuck with removing the whole cylinder. Hence the spanner nut has to come off. The air chisel worked well to unthread the nut with no damage.

If you need to replace the u-joints, CAT is not a good source - they want $239 each. (The knuckle PN is 236-4481)

PropelParts.us is the place to go @ 43.81 ea. - 2 shipped overnight $114.. Same part. Remember the axle is a ZF, not CAT.

If you’re thinking about replacing vs rebuilding - CAT wants about $1800 +tx for the whole cylinder.