• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Annular cutter for drill press?

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
What do you guys think of this chuck for annular cutters?

Ebay

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I don't see why that wouldn't work. Question though, you have a drill press that accepts morse taper? I'm jealous.

RobVG

Occupation
Yeah Willie, got it at Harbor Freight.

I've never used these cutters. Are they mainly intended for mag drills. (never used a mag drill either)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
An annular cutter is typically used with any rigid perpendicular drill, e.g. mag drill, drill press, end mill, not typically used with a hand held drill. The beauty of them is the clean/straight holes they drill. They are expensive, but the hole quality is the closest thing you'll get to machine shop results. I love them.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
One time I seen a annular cutter with a smooth steel pin in the center?.... I am guessing it was for a pilot hole for hand drill ?

I have a portable snapon drill press but it is no where near as good as a mag-drill ...... Shoulda just saved the money and bought a mag drill :rolleyes:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I have a Slugger mag drill PJ. With the slugger, that steel pin in the center does two things, 1) mark your spot to drill, no need to center punch, line up the steel pin with the spot and drill, and 2) an annular drill will make a slug when the hole punches through, this "slug" will typically lodge in the hole in the center of the annular cutter. On a Jancy Slugger drill, when you crank the Slugger drill press fully back up, the pin shoves the "slug" out of the cutter.

Old Doug

Keep in mined most drill presses will burn up annular cutters. Most are to fast.

norite

I don't see why that wouldn't work. Question though, you have a drill press that accepts morse taper? I'm jealous.

Most, if not all the modern drill presses I have seen or used have a morse taper in the quill. Your chuck is probably mounted on a morse taper adapter, I'd be surprised if you have a modern drill press without it.

I just pop the chuck and adapter out with a little wedge and plug mt bits of the same taper right in or use an adapter for other sizes. Once done, slip the chuck back in, tap up on it with a brass hammer or using a block of wood to protect the chuck and you are back to normal for use with a chuck.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Norite.

Most, if not all the modern drill presses I have seen or used have a morse taper in the quill.

Pleased you mentioned that, I was wondering, thought things may be different in the 'States. I don't think I have ever seen a drill press without a Morse taper in the quill.

Cheers.

RobVG

Occupation
Ended up using a plain old hole saw. Inch and a quarter holes through one inch flat bar. A buddy of mine turned me on to soluble cutting oil. It worked great. Holes were a little oversized but that's what I wanted.

Figgin' machine shop wanted $50 a hole.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yair . . . Norite.

Pleased you mentioned that, I was wondering, thought things may be different in the 'States. I don't think I have ever seen a drill press without a Morse taper in the quill.

Cheers.

It's not really that things are "different" here in the States, it's just that my drill press has a JT (Jacobs) taper quill, not the same as Morse Taper. However, I think there are adapters available for the quill to accept other tapers. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_taper