• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Annoying squealing pin on 410G

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Lately,my bottom swing tower pin is squealing like a banshee.It might quiet down some after greasing,but soon will go right back.I know it's that one as I put a stethoscope on her.Iv'e tried greasing both with the joint loaded and not--doesn't seem to matter.Anyone else having this--worse than nails on a chalkboard at school.

Dirt Dogg

Occupation
Owner/Operator
My 410 is doing the same thing, she has 5800 hours on her and still runs like a top. I have to grease that same joint every 4 hours or you cant stand to sit in the cab. Time for a rebush I'd say.

surfer-joe

You need to pull the pin out and thoroughly clean it and the bushings. Don't forget to clean out the grease passages too. You may need to replace both the pin and the bushings, but by cleaning things up, you might be able to get the grease where it needs to go for a while longer.

Good Luck!

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Thing is,mine is still like new--only 1500 hours.I'm going to see if I can't entice my dealer to warrant it,I still have some extended warranties left.

surfer-joe

Good idea, but they will probably tell you it hasn't been getting any grease, so no warranty.

Actually, I hope they take care of it, but don't be too surprised...........

Good Luck

dumptrucker

You could have some dirt that worked it's way in there or was already present when you bought the machine. I would take pin out and clean real good. Clean all grease passages spotless then put it back it and have someone grease it while you move it back and forth.

nedly05

MINE DOES IT TOOOOOOO!!! I greased the hell out of it, an it still sqeaks. Mine doesn't squeal like a banshee, but it does squeak when you swing past a certain point.

John M

pin noise

seems like mine is quiet in certain soils and i have to grease more in dusty conditions. might be not machined right .I notice they keep changing the yoke each year . I think they havent quite got it perfected.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF John M! :drinkup

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Called service dep't. on Thurs.to complain.I told them it's just not my 410G that's squealing so he said he'll look into it.Of course yesterday the pin was quiet as a church mouse.

directorz

I've used a high impact grease called Flex lube. The stuff is really sticky and does not push out easily. You may want to give this a try.

dumptrucker

MINE DOES IT TOOOOOOO!!! I greased the hell out of it, an it still sqeaks. Mine doesn't squeal like a banshee, but it does squeak when you swing past a certain point.

You might want to try to grease it when you swing past that point where it starts to squeak.

Most of the problem is that the pin is always in the dirt. They should come up with some sort of rubber boot to protect it more.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I have had the same problem with my Cat 420D.

We had to break each pin out and clean it well, including the grease zerk - just like Surfer Joe said. This has fixed the problem for my hoe.

nedly05

It was sqeuaking a little bit yesterday so I greased it with the hoe straight ahead, then all the way left,and all the way right, then I ran it back and forth several times, it seems fine now. I know its getting grease cuz by the time I got done it was squirting out in good shape:D

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
What has worked for me in the past is spraying the pin with water while swinging back and forth for a while. Then give it some grease slowly while swing it back and forth as much as you can.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Now it hasn't squeaked in the last 30-40 hours or so and after me hounding Nortrax's great:cool: service dept. about being warranted,finally I got a no---that would fall under the complete machine warranty which expired about a year ago.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
I had a pivot pin on an old earthmover squeak like that. Only time it wouldn't squeak was after a rain. We had to grease it twice a day. I searched for a high load grease and finally tried an "open gear grease" for use on cranes. It was nasty black stuff and it did not work. But I'd be searching for another grease as mentioned by an above post, unless you want to pull it out. I think it's a material compatibility issue, but I'm just guessing.

A thought is to have the pin chromed. You could have that done to your old pin if the new one doesn't fix it. Another guess.

Try posting the problem on shop floor talk, lot's of machinists there.

We finally did get that pin out on a major rebuild and it was slightly galled with blue streaks on it(?). The bushings were like new, so I made another pin out of material used for trailer axles, called "stress shaft" by the machinist that sold me the piece. It was fine after that. Phil

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
No,I'm quite sure it's not the grease--I use Schaeffers synthetic with moly--not much,if anything better.Of course the Nortrax dealer said no dice on a warranty level,but now the squeal has disappeared completely so go figure.