• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Angle Iron On Top Of Sides

busdrivernine

Anybody evr put a piece of angle iron on top of the sides of their dump bed ?this would I think keep dirt from hanging on to the side of the top rail and also add a bit of protection from damage due to bed being hit by the loader ?
I had a 2x12 as a top rail but the loader operator still wanted to fill the wagon so to say so I decided to take the 2x12's off and just put me a piece of angle iron down instead with the open end down on the rail this way the angle would be like a Aand dirt could not pile up as it has no surface to land on and will slide off instead of it collecting on the edge of the bed . Thanks twj

Nac

Occupation
Construction
I have them welded on all my dirt and concrete containers all 4 sides

ror76a

One of my semi dumps has angle iron welded to the top of the rails, can't think of anything that it hurts. The thing I like about it is it keeps rocks from sitting on the rail so that they don't fall on you when you are walking by, or going down the road. I suppose it does offer a little protection against hits by a renagade loader operator, but if he hits hard enough it would bend too.

busdrivernine

Thanks for the input am thinking about doing that and also putting a plate up at the front even with the dog house that way it would keep them from trying to pile it up in the front corners stupid loader operator actual got my tarp the other day :mad: bed really looks different with 2x 12 board on sides of bed aagin Thanks !!:notworthy

FarmerDave

I never thoght about putting angle iron on the top of the dump body, that would work great on my grandpa's old Dodge grain truck for when he puts too much on, it wont sit up there on the edge

surfer-joe

Generally speaking, the major reason steel sideboards are not used is that once they are all bent up, they are far more expensive and time consuming to replace or repair than the wooden boards. But I've seen people go either way. The wood get busted out a lot from careless loader operators.

mikey531

Yes angle iron will work by keeping a rock from landing on a 2 inch wide flat surface.. but stop and think of how much skill it takes the loader operator to drop a rock from 4 feet and have it land on a 2 inch wide surface !!

busdrivernine

99% of the stuff we are hauling is fill dirt and clay Don t woory about it too much when in a construction zone only thing is the last load you have to clean the bed off of any loose material and the top board is a pain . Have a great day and a safe week . keep the dirty side down . twj

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
Had angle iron spot welded on the top rails of my Paystar. Got tired of replacing wooden side boards that kept getting smashed off by "operators". They worked well and helped strengthen the flexy sides on that Beau-Roc Diamond Line smooth side box, which was prone to cracking. Never had any further issues. I added tabs so that I could bolt side board centre supports back on when hauling light bulk product.

lancef

We just put a peice of timber along the top of sides .Cost the loader driver a dozen ( beers ) everytime he brakes one.We use about 8x2 size timber along both sides of the tipping body.We call them hungry boards.

Freightrain

How about just taper cut a wood board? Same effect and cheaper/easier to replace. A circular saw and a couple minutes and you've got new tapered boards when a loader op damages it. No welding or beating with a hammer.

mikey531

hey hey ! Take it easy on us loader operators ! Sometimes you guys park too close ! :)

8x8

I have seen this done and I am going to try it myself-I usually load my own truck and sometimes I have to clean off the top of my boards,and I am trying too be carefull not to have stuff spilling on the road-that is why I have the boards,not to carry a bigger load

rino

Occupation
Drive steel bed Dump Truck for a paving company
My bed floor is fitted with 2 angles starting 18" from the bulk head and stopping 18" from the gate! The V is up. and there are end caps welded closing the ends! The only machine on the job was a loader! The man (not an op) running the loader picked up a piece of concrete that was 6' X 12' X 13" thick. The only way to get this off was let it slide off the bucket! My bed sides are 56" That concrete hit so hard the springs bottomed out! Never phased the rails in the bed floor! It looks like standard 2" angle iron! With the front and rear ends capped, Nothing get stuck inside, and I can still haul material, hot rock, and concrete equally as well! This is the same truck in my personal! Yea the Ford LTL9000, with a 475 Cat! Go figure!

Last edited:

Red Bank

Rino, how far apart are the angles. I think that is a brilliant idea, especially if it keeps the floor from wearing out as fast.