• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

amp testers

fixou812

Occupation
Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
Probably more like 30%but be the same voltage on the hot leed at each end, battery and starter, while cranking
if i remember. ...voltage drop test

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
An ammeter with different ranges is just a series of shunts for each range,the values depend on what range you choose to measure.Ron G

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
The only one I would really consider is the Fluke 337. Some of the other ones might not register high enough current for what we do. Off brands often do not register dirty/trashy signals accurately, but Fluke never seems to disappoint.

I got mine used on ebay many years ago and I have used it a whole lot. It was about $200 way back then. They cost a lot more new but I would not be scared of used if in good cosmetic condition.

ETER

Yair . . .

ETER Aren't they the ducks nuts! Proper bloody gauges and made in the USA.

Cheers.

"ducks nuts" LMAO...I'm thinking same lines as "the cat's arse"? Still have two ducks on the pond, I'm thinking their nuts are about part of the pond this morning!:eek:
Regards, Bob

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Seriously though. I know I am old fashioned and date back to the stone age but bloody hell . . .

That style of gauge used to be standard, what could be more simple? A stand alone system, each unit can be replaced and the operator (provided he/she can read) knows what it is telling.

I have been on a couple of machines with opaque/cracked plastic over flashing lights and symbols the meaning of which I didn't have a clue. This modern madness called is "progress".

Wish I had some pictures of the dash of the 1960's oil field Peterbuilt, every temperature and pressure on the truck had a gauge all set out in logical sequence, bloody marvellous.

Cheers.

Catpower

Occupation
Electrician, equipment operator
Have you checked your cable with an OHM meter? Your cable should have 0.0? ohms. This will tell you how much resistance it has, IE voltage drop. Is the starter not pulling in? or not turning the engine? Do a voltage check across any two points (battery post to cable terminal) I have seen a large voltage drop across them? See if any Electrical contractors in your area might have a 500 amp DC clip on? It has been a long time since I have used one of them. Have the batteries been load tested?

Randy88

Cat power, yes to all the above and more so, we've installed extra ground wires from the starter to the main frame, just in case for some reason it was losing ground somewhere through the starter, before worrying about starting this thread I found the positive cable was bad via the voltage drop test, so it was replaced.

We did a simulated amp test with a carbon pile tester, the only solution I came up with, was even though the starter bench tested fine in all aspects, it sucked too many amps when in the machine. This wasn't the first starter I've had in the same machine, so in essence I got with the luck of the draw, two starters back to back that were bad. I went instead of the factory model of starter, we put on an aftermarket gear reduction starter instead, the only replacement I could to replace the factory starter. We then again did a amp simulated test and with the gear reduction starter in, even though its not idea for amp draw but rather on the high side, its a fraction of the amp draw on the last starter as its cranking.

I never bought the new digital amp tester, basically nobody had one when I needed it, so like most, now that I no longer have an urgent need for one, I still haven't ordered one and not sure I will, as one told me, by the time I get to need it in the testing equation, I've already figured out what's bad or have it fixed. Thanks for the help, input and discussion everyone, I really did learn a lot from you all.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I must agree my amp clamp has never been a great help for starter troubleshooting. It is usually all about the voltage drop wherever it is occurring.

It is still a great boon for other things like parasitic draw if you have a battery going dead when it should not be.

mitch504

They sell a digital clamp type meter at Lowes building supply that does Ac and DC amperage up to 400 amps.