• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

American Dragline Identification Help!

gravinus

Hello everyone!

I just acquired a gem of an old dragline in great mechanical condition and I am trying to find out what model it could be and I can't find anything online. The serial number is GS 3409 and it has a GM 3-71 diesel in it. It has a 1 yard bucket and I'm hoping to add on to an existing pond with it.

Could anyone help identify this beast and have any ideas on how you would go about getting an operator manual for something like this?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!
Ben

Attachments

• Dragline1.jpg
    Dragline1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 3,987
  • Dragline2.jpg
    Dragline2.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 2,108
  • dragline3.jpg
    dragline3.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 2,191

bigshow

Congrats on the great find, I don't know what model it is but jensales sells manuals for all kinds of old iron.

gravinus

Thanks for the reply and info! I spoke to Jensales and they were unable to track one down. There must not be too many of these babies around! I'm thinking it is maybe a 375-BC or a 395-BC, but that is just a guess.

Thanks Again,
Ben

poclain holland

Occupation
demolition highreach operator
GS-3409 is a 395BC. It was originally equipped with a backhoe attachment. Phillipi Equipment was the dealer and Gibson Brothers Construction Company purchased this crane in May 1957. And from what I understand Phillipi Equipment is still in business.

Sincerely,

John.

gravinus

Hello John,

Thank you so much for the reply and info! That is very interesting history to go along with the old beast! I was beginning to think I would never figure out exactly what it is.

Would you have any ideas on where I might look to find an operators manual for it? I've looked all over the internet and can't seem to find anything what so ever. So many levers and controls, a manual would sure help out this rookie!

Thanks again for the info, I REALLY REALLY appreciate it.

Ben

firebird380hp

Occupation
grade foreman
it looks like a old 21-b Bucyrus-erie and it having the detroit engine also make me think that....my memory leaves me sometime....lol

Last edited:

firebird380hp

Occupation
grade foreman
the color should be red and white if it's a 21-b the bucket is around 3/4 yard with 43' of drag cable 3/4 and about 90' of hoist cable 5/8. That was one of my first job's the oiler on it for him.it's very sound machine as long as you keep vinger and baby powder on hand!!

Last edited:

firebird380hp

Occupation
grade foreman
22-b #1.jpg this is what I think it is...I was wrong about the color red and white was the color is the linkbelt-speeder.22-b bucyrus.jpg

Last edited:

poclain holland

Occupation
demolition highreach operator
They are selling on Ebay.com (look American crane) on this moment the complete American series manuals, also 300 series parts and operator manual!
you have aprox 10 -17 days left.

sincerely,

John.

Last edited:

gravinus

Thanks for the info guys! I've been looking for a manual specific to the 395BC, so that makes sense that I wasn't able to locate one! Your right Firebird, the American sure does look a lot like the Bucyrus-erie! Makes me wonder if they were in cahoots!

Thanks Again,
Ben

Donns

Occupation
Self employed Dragline consultant and Safety train
Vinegar and Baby Powder

the color should be red and white if it's a 21-b the bucket is around 3/4 yard with 43' of drag cable 3/4 and about 90' of hoist cable 5/8. That was one of my first job's the oiler on it for him.it's very sound machine as long as you keep vinger and baby powder on hand!!

I started on one of these 22Bs a lotta years ago. I remember using Fuller's Earth and/ or Carbon Tet before we found out these were hazardous to ones health. Sometimes I just threw a handful of dry cement into the swingers to clean out the grease. Mine had 318 Ct with a rope start pony engine. Used a long rope and pulled fom the ground out back. You could pull from the platform alongside the swingers but took the good chance of cracking knuckles on things. Greta old machines.

ih100

If it was in the UK I would say it's an NCK Rapier. However, I believe the NCK Rapier machines were a license-built Link Belt, albeit not with Detroit engines (May have had Dormans over here), so somebody earlier may have gotten close.

Donns

Occupation
Self employed Dragline consultant and Safety train
NCK Rapier

If it was in the UK I would say it's an NCK Rapier. However, I believe the NCK Rapier machines were a license-built Link Belt, albeit not with Detroit engines (May have had Dormans over here), so somebody earlier may have gotten close.

I was not aware that Rapier ever had a deal with Link-Belt. I remember operating an old NCK 405 at a British Steel Project in Scunthorp back in the late '70s and it was a carbon copy of the 405 Koerings that I have operated in the US. As a matter of fact I always thought the "K" in NCK was for Koering.

ih100

Sorry, brain fart there. You're right that the NCK's were koerings. Can't remember what the N and C stands for though.

LDK

Sorry, brain fart there. You're right that the NCK's were koerings. Can't remember what the N and C stands for though.

Newton Chambers Koehring if I remember correctly.

melbo

American 375 BC

We have a 1957 American 375 BC and it runs but hasn't been operated in some time- I cannot find an operators manual online nor can the original operator who is 93 remember the controls. Can anyone give me a set of instructions on the controls and use of them? Thanks!P8210586.jpg

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
We have a 1957 American 375 BC and it runs but hasn't been operated in some time- I cannot find an operators manual online nor can the original operator who is 93 remember the controls. Can anyone give me a set of instructions on the controls and use of them? Thanks!View attachment 157890

WOW, That machine looks clean for not being run for a long time.