• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Always going backwards...

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
One problem that plagues me is trying to remember which direction is forward on the tracks. I constantly push on the handles when i need to pull and vice versa.

Are there any good tricks to keep track of this in my head while operating?

:beatsme

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
know where your drive motors are and you will never have that problem

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
Eyes Slowly Rolling. lol

One problem that plagues me is trying to remember which direction is forward on the tracks. I constantly push on the handles when i need to pull and vice versa.

Are there any good tricks to keep track of this in my head while operating?

:beatsme

When you digging look out the window.:D

When you look at front of the tracks:

If you see a Big Round Idler Looking Thingy, your going foward.

If you see a big flat piece of metal with bolts in it. Thats backwards and the controls are reversed.

Now kick yourself in the butt and say why didn't I think of that.:pointhead

In all seriousness though, everybody goes the wrong way every now and then. If you will drive it with your feet you can take the slack out of your tracks while your swinging to make sure your going the right direction.

xcavator120

Occupation
Equipment Operator
I've always used the phrase "Do you feel lucky today", to remember which is which. The idler covers have a horseshoe appearance, and horseshoes are suppose to be lucky...

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
yup we have all done it before, i wasn't born in an excavator but pretty dam close....lol!

dayexco

relate it to this on how to remember....ALWAYS tuck buford back in the pants before you pull your zipper up. make sure you look where your idlers are

plantman.uk

Occupation
excavator operator
How do you not know the front from the back?...can't imagine what mess you get into...how long you been in the seat?....Look where the idlers are....they are the big things without the sprockets

grandpa

Stick a compass to ur windshield marked front...back that ways when u cycle around all you have to do is look up to it and it will automaticly tell you..... always have to dig from north to south with this method> LOL Might need another excavator marked east to west for that type of work... oh for specialty equipment.

Last edited:

tripper_174

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer
Yep watglen...there are two sorts of guys who run hoes, ones who have forgotten which end is forward....and those who are going to! I'm pretty sure you know which end has the idlers. It's the memory thing that's got ya and I can identify with that!!!!

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
Stick a compass to ur windshield marked front...back that ways when u cycle around all you have to do is look up to it and it will automaticly tell you..... always have to dig from north to south with this method> LOL Might need another excavator marked east to west for that type of work... oh for specialty equipment.

Now that is exactly the kind of out of the box thinking that'll get you hired at CATERPILLAR.

HAHAHAHAHAHa

:usa

heavylift

I know early 80's Cats had drive motors that stuck out a couple feet into the center... It would only take one whoops to take out a couple of track motors.

I always dig with the motors to the back... Unless it's a machine with a blade, then I put the blade behind me.... I don't like looking over the blade

With the motors in the back... pull back , you go back.... push forward, you go forward
Unless I've turned it backwards , then you have whoops moment of forward then back whiplash

BCB

How do you not know the front from the back?...can't imagine what mess you get into...how long you been in the seat?....Look where the idlers are....they are the big things without the sprockets

i notice your pretty new around here but this is the 3rd or 4th post i've seen like this from you... and i can already tell your one of those guys that does everything perfect and has never made a mistake. well sorry we're not all quite on that level just yet. The man came here with a simple question that needs a simple answer. Plenty of people gave him great advise. There is no real need for smart comments.

sorry stuff like that just rubs me the wrong way fast.

The way i check if i forget which way is forward is just as everybody else has already stated. you'll be able to tell the Idler end from the drive motor end if you look inside the track body.

plantman.uk

Occupation
excavator operator
lets get one thing straight BCB i earn my living operating track machines so i try not to make mistakes as mistakes cost money, and as for smart comments if you don't want an answer don't ask the question.And as for being new around here makes no difference,i've been around plant alot of years so i guess that allows me a certain amount of knowledge of the subject if my answers offend you unlucky.

plantman.uk

Occupation
excavator operator
guess i did but it's a forum open to all ...i can deal with it i must have touched a nerve

swampdog

For a bigger dig, make sure that you are digging over the idlers. But if moving around a site doing clean up, etc., don't worry about whether you are digging over the idlers or not. Constantly turning the machine to make sure you are pointed in the "right" direction makes no sense. If the machine starts moving the wrong direction when you pull or push on the levers, just pull or push the other direction. Not a big deal. At least that's my opinion.:cool:

Last edited:

BCB

lets get one thing straight BCB i earn my living operating track machines so i try not to make mistakes as mistakes cost money,

As do I. yes mistakes do cost money, which is exactly why people come here to try and get advice on how to avoid them. It may seem like a simple task to us now, however i wasn't born knowing everything and I still have a LOT to learn. Something tells me at one point you did have to learn a thing or two also...

All i'm trying to say is we come here for help and to give help ( or just BS about how stuck somebody got lol) there is no need to try to belittle somebody who is just trying to better them self. but i'm done there is no need to clutter up this thread anymore with bickering.