• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Aluminum Wheels

59 North

Interesting comments. Gained some new information.
Working from memory here, were the 22.5 steel wheels in the '80s a stronger wheel v/s the steel 24.5?

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I've always liked the looks of 10.00X22 tall rubber on older trucks being highly biased towards Mack. That is what is on my B-61T but they are radial tires and new old stock. Never have been out in the sun so going to run them. Though 11R-24.5 are the same dimension in overall diameter, I like the taller sidewall look myself. To me aluminum wheels on 11R-24.5 tires look out of place and 11R-22.5 look better. Of course I like 10.00-20 rubber also for the same reasons, but obtaining them any longer is seemingly an exercise in futility, as are the old 10.00-22 size.

I also don't like the "gap" switching from the tube types to tubeless has on Dayton hubs either.....

Truck Shop

Interesting comments. Gained some new information.
Working from memory here, were the 22.5 steel wheels in the '80s a stronger wheel v/s the steel 24.5?

The same, two hand hole wheels are stronger.

For most everyone on here running full size tires-well that's what you do and that's ok.
But for me or the company everything has to be uniform everything the same. If a tractor or trailer needs
a tire on the road 295/75 22.5's are the standard easy to get every tire dealer or truck stop has them. Plus
I will move old useable steers to the trailer center axle and run them out.

JPV

We run 24.5 on all the trucks, (dump trucks, log trucks and lowboy trucks) and some of everything on the trailers depending on what they are (lowboy, log, belly dump, possum belly chip, side dump, tilt bed). That is what works best off highway around here, you need all the ground clearance you can get. We have a stupid amount of spares mounted up ready to go, I wish we just ran 295/75 22.5 on all the trailers.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
5C112A6E-43B1-4A32-9CB7-5FFB53E95BEE.jpeg Can anybody tell me what the manufacture of this wheel is? I picked up a service truck and would like to match the rears to this front but can’t find a stamp on it. It’s on a 97 Peterbilt 330.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
Parts guy say there is different versions of the Pete wheel. Depending on who made it. I thought they were all the same. going go check out a couple of salvage yards in a couple days.

crane operator

I don't know that anyone would be able to see the difference in the pete wheels without being real close. Most are just going to see the oval holes and think "pete" wheels. I couldn't probably tell the difference unless they were laying beside each other.

Truck Shop

Different by model years. IIRC the earlier ones have tighter curve at the ends.

Tyler d4c

That was one of them hard knock learning experiences ran over a bolt on the road or something the like.