• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Aluminum Platform Body

nedly05

Does anyone have a 3/4 ton set up with an aluminum platform body? the box on my truck is beat up in a couple spots and I am wondering if it's worth fixing it, or replacing the box with a platform. For my next truck I would like to go to a one ton set up this way. Any input,cost, good, bad? Thanks!

the first pic is what I would like to do now (maybe)
(photo from Commercial truck Success Blog)

the second is how I would like my next truck.
(photo from www.pedro.olx.com)

Attachments

• aluminum8flatbed.jpg
    aluminum8flatbed.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 5,193
  • f_913218_4.jpg
    f_913218_4.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 985

amscontr

Occupation
Operating Engineer 520
It all depends on what you want to spend and do with the truck? Is it a moneymaker or a playtoy?
Ugly old trucks make the most bucks!

nedly05

this is a work truck. Its the one we have our transfer tank, tool box, hand tools, and misc. stuff in. It also tows and plows. She's not too ugly, but not much of a playtoy either. I saw a steel flatbed for $1750 shipped, thats a hard price to beat I'd think. I'd like to know the weight difference between steel and aluminum.

motrack

Charter Member
Occupation
field service tech
I had one of the 1st Ford Diesels in 1983 and had Ravens trailer make a aluminum flat for it. It was about 2/3s the weight of a steel bed at the time and out lived 2 trucks I had it on.

Its still working in southeastern Ohio mounted on the 4th truck I know of. There are a lot more choices today in aluminum beds than I had at the time. I would buy another one.

A truck can be a moneymaker and still look good.

Last edited:

jrtraderny

this is a work truck. Its the one we have our transfer tank, tool box, hand tools, and misc. stuff in. It also tows and plows. She's not too ugly, but not much of a playtoy either. I saw a steel flatbed for $1750 shipped, thats a hard price to beat I'd think. I'd like to know the weight difference between steel and aluminum.

There's a guy down here by me that fabs up aluminum ones but $1750 is gonna be real tough to beat.
jr

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
Check Monroe Truck Equipment. They are good people to deal with and have good products. All of our plows for the trucks, tractors and loaders and the salters came from there and they always treated us right.

nedly05

Thanks for the info guys! I like how the Hillsboro has the gooseneck hitch built in, thats a slick feature.

hvy 1ton

Thanks for the info guys! I like how the Hillsboro has the gooseneck hitch built in, thats a slick feature.

I meant to say 90% of the aluminum flatbeds in Kansas. You could say they have a lock on the market. I don't remember how much more the extruded flooring is, but it's awesome. They use the same stuff for enclosed trailer floors and I'm not sure it's correct, but somebody told me the planks were replaceable if they were damaged.

vtcntrctr

If you do want one, I suggest giving Lucky's a call, they seem to be the largest dealer of stuff of that sort around here.