• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Alternative oil in Deere 750j

WBC

what is a good alternative 15w-40 oil that you all would recommend putting in a Deere 750j besides oil from a Deere dealer?? It calls for 15w-40 in engine, hyd, and tranny

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Any name brand that meets the spec would be fine. Shell, Mobil, Chevron etc. Just avoid the funky branded stuff. Depending on volume you use there could be savings dealing with an oil distributor vs buying at the parts house etc. I pay about $6.15 a gallon bulk for my Shell 15w40. At work it's higher, not exactly sure why, around $10.75. Still beats $15 a gallon at the parts house.

Junkyard

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Find a fuels/oil distributor local. Mine gets me Shell oil for a full third less than across the counter sales 55 gal at a time. I use it in three machines.

jprefect

Occupation
mainline hoe operator
Any name oils will work just fine. I have found recently that cat oil is only about $14.00 a gallon. In gallon jugs. Drums are a little cheaper if you go that way

WBC

Are you all talking about the shell rotella?? Is it safe for the transmission in the deeres?

hosspuller

Interesting that Rotella gallons from Walmart is less per gallon than 55 gallon drums from Shell Distributer.

Bulk buying power at its most powerful. Don't have to like it, but its there.