• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Alright scraper hands which way were you taught?

sprknranger

Yea 150 scrapers is a lot, but we never had that much on one job. If you go to ACI grading dot com, they have a picture of a job that we did at ladera ranch CA with about half of the fleet all lined up. Pretty impressive picture. But as far as pushing dirt with the apron, there will be some sluff that builds in front of the apron no matter how good you are, it's just inevitable, but if your plowing dirt then that's a no no. Sounds like your ways are just fine. And I too applaud a veteren operator as yourself being humble enough to have an open mind! Kudos to you sir!

CAT D7 man

Wow, that is incredible! Never saw such before in my life. Bet guys like you and Brian Hay get exposed to more situations in one operating season than many of us small-job old-timers see in a lifetime. Man, I bet that sounds sweet when all them big CAT engines fire up in the morning...and smell of diesel smoke...man-o-man. Anyhow, I do appreciate you younger fellows not ridiculing an old man's outdated techniques. Tis a real real pleasure conversing with you all.

Larry

sprknranger

Geeez I can only dream of work being that good these days. Not one of those scrapers are runnin down here in CA, only about a 10th of those are runnin up in WY, the rest are just sitting or have been sold off. And believe me, I've ran with a lot of guys who claim they have 25 years experience, and 95% of them will never listen to a "youngen" like me. Even when I'm right. Now please don't think I am an expert. I am far from it, and I try to learn something new every time I sit in the seat. I've always said a good operator knows everything there is to know about moving dirt, a great operator never stops learning how to move dirt.

Showpony

From an elevated view

I switch on the elevator , get the bowl full, NOT overflowing, I shut the elevator off just before I raise the bowl, the jammed material over the cutting edge stops the elevator free running in reverse and ejecting 1/2 the load, something elevators are notorious for. useing this method I can leave the apron work to my dear wife in the kitchen.
If I cannot find an elevating scraper so I can work by my cantcerous self, the apron open enough to let material in but not out is my system.
Tell me, has any one seen or heard of a motor scraper with an auto returning ejector, it would save thousands of $ and a lot of embarring moments if the ejector returned automaticlly after a period time the operator could adjust to suit the job.
great thread,

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
Most elevating scrapers I have operated namely E211/412 & 613B the ejector returns back, just push the lever to the return position and it will return the ejector and kick out when its there. The 2x 627Bs we have at the moment both do it but when its cold first thing in the morming for the first 5/6 loads they will kick out before its all the way back, just got to be awake to them and check the ejector before begining to load. Cheers RDG.

CAT D7 man

Showpony, do you run the elevator backwards when ejecting dry dirt? The only time you'll see me do it is if the load is sticky wet clay. Never quite understood why most guys run them backwards in dry soil, but then there seems to be way too much that I don't understand. My grandpa had this really cool plaque that read: "too late smart; too soon old" - translated from German.

Showpony

Hi D7, Only if I need to, most often you need to run the elevator backwards if you have over loaded wet clay or heavy soil. its usually a good idea too quit in these conditions as the haul road and fill starts heaving and next thing you've got to put a blade on the job, this is never a good option if you are running one or two machines. Its expensive keeping an elevator turning in any direction. The less unnecessary running an elevator does the more you have to pay the tax man. I have to agree with Lee Too late smart, too soon old, how true.
Im still trying to make a living out of contracting so at 54, I can safely assume I'm not too soon old.

rare ss

I switch on the elevator , get the bowl full, NOT overflowing, I shut the elevator off just before I raise the bowl, the jammed material over the cutting edge stops the elevator free running in reverse and ejecting 1/2 the load, something elevators are notorious for. useing this method I can leave the apron work to my dear wife in the kitchen.
If I cannot find an elevating scraper so I can work by my cantcerous self, the apron open enough to let material in but not out is my system.
Tell me, has any one seen or heard of a motor scraper with an auto returning ejector, it would save thousands of $ and a lot of embarring moments if the ejector returned automaticlly after a period time the operator could adjust to suit the job.
great thread,

We used to run ratchet's on the elevator sprokets, to stop the free wheeling in reverse worked ok if you had semi skilled operators on them but far too often we'd be out there pulling them off to reverse them to remove logs, fencing wire and everything else they tend to run over so we left them off
I like your method, will have to keep that one in mind

Showpony

Hi RDG the only reliable ejector return detents I have found in my limited travels, was on IH and larger Terex scrapers, all the others seem to jump out when cold and hang in when the oil gets hot, making the oil hotter, wasting power, fuel and hydraulic components. To avoid the latter we file back the detent claw in the ejector SCV to make them fully manual, we figure its easier to back up close the ejector and restart loading than replacing pumps, o'rings, hydraulic fluid and relief valves. A fully automated system that used an electro hyd valve controled by an ECU with an adjustable time switch & potentiometers would save a lot of grief many of us have put up with one way or the for too long.