• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Allison MD 3060P 6 Speed Electronic

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Isuzu are putting this box in a 33,000lb dump truck with the Sitec 275 Hp. Anybody with any experience or thoughts on this transmission in this arrangement. I'd dearly love an auto around town.

Jeff D.

Squizzy,my Allison is a much older 6 speed,than the electronic one you mentioned,but I really like it in my Ford dump truck.That's 34,000lbs gross.

It's nice too be able to pay attention to other things than shifting,like you mentioned,sometimes.

They do require much more service than a stick though.The fluid is supose to be changed quite often.Aside from that their great.Mine could have a wider spread on the gears,but they may have changed that by now.

Allison does have a good reputation.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Jeff D. said:
Squizzy,my Allison is a much older 6 speed,than the electronic one you mentioned,but I really like it in my Ford dump truck.That's 34,000lbs gross.

It's nice too be able to pay attention to other things than shifting,like you mentioned,sometimes.

They do require much more service than a stick though.The fluid is supose to be changed quite often.Aside from that their great.Mine could have a wider spread on the gears,but they may have changed that by now.

Allison does have a good reputation.

Jeff, the specs actually give the auto a wider spread than the nine speed manual with rev's being 180 lower at 100kph on the Auto. I spoke to a mechanic today who does the local council trucks and he said the previous model is going really well because the knucklehead drivers the city employs can't screw them up as much as a manual. Sounds good for me:)

dayexco

we run allison's in all our ford tandem dumps. no more bent driveshafts, snapped u-joints, rear ends taken out, clutches/pressure plates going out...and we think we can get the autos in and out of places you'd never get a man. trans in due to tire slippage

Jeff D.

Dayexco,how often are you servicing the tranny's(fluid/filter change)?

I don't have an operators manual for my old Ford,but I'd swear I read somewhere that it was a 25,000 mile change interval,under the hard conditions.

One area it's definately an advantage to have one,is in plowing.No break in the power to the wheels makes it much easier.

dayexco

i'm not sure of miles either...we just change fluid and filters on the transmission at every 4th engine oil change..."knock on wood"....we've yet to lose a tranny