• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Allison 3340 trans

mog5858

I working on my 3340 CT out of my S7 scraper. when I tight down the end bearing support as the book said I get .050 gap but the trans is bond up I can turn it but with the help of a strap wrench but very tight and over twice what the book said. where should I look for my stack up error?? I know this is a vague question but this projet is getting old and help I take it.

Attachments

• IMG_7614.JPG
    IMG_7614.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7615.JPG
    IMG_7615.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7613.JPG
    IMG_7613.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 37

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I working on my 3340 CT out of my S7 scraper. when I tight down the end bearing support as the book said I get .050 gap but the trans is bond up I can turn it but with the help of a strap wrench but very tight and over twice what the book said. where should I look for my stack up error?? I know this is a vague question but this projet is getting old and help I take it.

I don't have any experience with 3300's, but I would study the cross section view in the manual and see what may be out of position. Can you tell by the feel if it's plates dragging or pressure on a bearing? I put a clutch piston in a 6061 backwards once and it made the plates drag, lucky I found it before it went back in the machine by doing the turn test.

mog5858

thanks, I ended up just taking all apart Sunday and staring back a square one didn't find anything that I had put in the wrong spot. things went back together way faster the second time. I just got to reassemble the torque converter and then I guess we see if I know what I was doing.

56wrench

I assume you pre-soaked all the friction discs with atf? one of the common causes of excessive drag or binding besides components installed backwards is a thrust washer somewhere that is not seated properly

mog5858

thanks for the help all the frictions where used so they were still wet. everything is back together now just have to reinstall in the machine now.