• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Allis hd6 track idler

Trent79

We have an hd6 with a lose track idler. Separated the track. Removed the idler. Cannot figure out how to get it apart to reveal bushings? Bearings? What ever allows it to rotate on its axis. Also unsure how or even if the track idler and the truck wheels are to be lubed. This is our first piece of track driven equipment. Thanks for any help you may offer.

hector gemme

You need to removed the idler bracket each side and removed the retainer bearing and these idler have no boushings and about lube some are seal live and some have a plug at end shaft.

Trent79

I suspicions I need to remove the bracket but cannot figure out how. The "pin" that the adjuster centers over is the only possible "retainer" we can find but as of yet it does not budge. Unsure of if it should or not we did not want to get too persuasive with it.

On the lube issue it does have a plug with a "sealing" taper on it. Was curious if grease or oil should be put in there.

Tinkerer

Last edited:

Trent79

So is there anywhere to buy allis parts these days? I need a shim kit for the truck wheels and likely the track idler also. I am not stoked about trying to cut out 6 hole shims to get the preload on my bearings set. Thanks for the help so far. We are in the reassembly process anyway lol

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
All the track parts were supplied to Allis by Berco. Most parts have numbers on the casting and can be cross referenced to other manufacturers, ITR is an example.

Trent79

Well I just made shims on my trusty cnc mill at work. Now. Next quest is to figure out how and where to check fluids and what fluid to add so perhaps I do not have to work on more stuff. Specifically the final drives and what ever is on the outside of the rear sprocket. Carrier? Maybe idk. Thinking about buying an operator manual but am afraid to spend $ and get something with little to no info. Thanks again. These forums are great for those of us with limited experience.

Trent79

The seals on the truck rollers are unavailable I believe. When we reworked the other track I found a standard type seal either on this forum or another that replaces it.... I think. I know I machined out the OD for the seal but I cannot find where I purchased the seal or what part number the seal is. Cannot believe I did not keep better records. Anyone convert to a lip type seal?

sawmilleng

I can't imagine a track roller just having lip-type seals without some protection covering them from damage.

However, if you measure the OD, ID, and width of where the seal goes you should be able to go to any of the big industrial bearings peddlers--Motion Industries, etc, and they can find you a seal that matches the size specs. You should also be able to do this yourself on the 'net with downloadable seal catalogues like those from SKF.

Unless, of course, the seals are specialized, like the Cat Duo-Cone seals. But I doubt it on that old of a machine. Didn't someone say that all the A-C machine track parts were supplied by Berco? Have you tried them for seals or at least get a lead from them?

Jon.

Trent79

I can't imagine a track roller just having lip-type seals without some protection covering them from damage.

However, if you measure the OD, ID, and width of where the seal goes you should be able to go to any of the big industrial bearings peddlers--Motion Industries, etc, and they can find you a seal that matches the size specs. You should also be able to do this yourself on the 'net with downloadable seal catalogues like those from SKF.

Unless, of course, the seals are specialized, like the Cat Duo-Cone seals. But I doubt it on that old of a machine. Didn't someone say that all the A-C machine track parts were supplied by Berco? Have you tried them for seals or at least get a lead from them?

Jon.
The seals are quite strange. They do not seal on od and I'd, they seal on the the inner and outer face like the bearing / shim cover plate and the cap outside it. They have springs inside that push in-line with the shaft of the truck roller that spread the 2 piece seal apart. If I recall correctly none of the track parts are available. I talked to a shop on the phone and he said my only hope for track parts is a parts machine that will in all reality be in as bad or worse shape than the one I am working on. He said they do not even attempt to work on the tracks of these machines anymore. After some thought, I think the place I machined out for lip seals on the other side was on the track idler. I think I just put new bearings in the truck roller and put the seal pieces back to take up space and plan to just grease them heavily. This machine gets used about 1 every 2 years to push up 2 or 3 hay piles from feeding cattle and 1 every 5 or 10 years when it gets dry enough to clean out a pond. Thanks for your reply.

hector gemme

I have 2 new boot seals,2 gasket seals 3 new ring seal and 1 worn one and have 2 spring desasambly and can't assambly because have a arm and bad condition and these seal are 2 3/4 inchs hight

sawmilleng

The seals are quite strange. They do not seal on od and I'd, they seal on the the inner and outer face like the bearing / shim cover plate and the cap outside it. They have springs inside that push in-line with the shaft of the truck roller that spread the 2 piece seal apart. If I recall correctly none of the track parts are available. I talked to a shop on the phone and he said my only hope for track parts is a parts machine that will in all reality be in as bad or worse shape than the one I am working on. He said they do not even attempt to work on the tracks of these machines anymore. After some thought, I think the place I machined out for lip seals on the other side was on the track idler. I think I just put new bearings in the truck roller and put the seal pieces back to take up space and plan to just grease them heavily. This machine gets used about 1 every 2 years to push up 2 or 3 hay piles from feeding cattle and 1 every 5 or 10 years when it gets dry enough to clean out a pond. Thanks for your reply.
If that is all you use the machine for, you have a secret weapon: you are a machinist. Why not consider just make a close fitting "cover" that goes in place of the old seal and fits closely on the roller shaft? The cover could be set up so that it fits the same as the clearance that the roller bearings have to the shaft. That would at least minimize the opening for dirt to get into the roller. That will maximize your effectiveness of just keeping the rollers full of grease.

I would envision this "cover" to be a ring that you press fit into the roller on each side, and the close fit is between the cover and the roller shaft. It would be quite wide...probably the width of the old seal.

It could be brass if you are concerned about wearing the roller shafts if this cover ever touches the roller shaft.

By the way, the original seal does actually sound like it is a forerunner of the modern "duo-cone" type face seals. I didn't realize they have been around that long.

Keep us posted!

Jon.

Trent79

I have 2 new boot seals,2 gasket seals 3 new ring seal and 1 worn one and have 2 spring desasambly and can't assambly because have a arm and bad condition and these seal are 2 3/4 inchs hight
Thank you. I will keep that in mind as we weigh our options.

Trent79

If that is all you use the machine for, you have a secret weapon: you are a machinist. Why not consider just make a close fitting "cover" that goes in place of the old seal and fits closely on the roller shaft? The cover could be set up so that it fits the same as the clearance that the roller bearings have to the shaft. That would at least minimize the opening for dirt to get into the roller. That will maximize your effectiveness of just keeping the rollers full of grease.

I would envision this "cover" to be a ring that you press fit into the roller on each side, and the close fit is between the cover and the roller shaft. It would be quite wide...probably the width of the old seal.

It could be brass if you are concerned about wearing the roller shafts if this cover ever touches the roller shaft.

By the way, the original seal does actually sound like it is a forerunner of the modern "duo-cone" type face seals. I didn't realize they have been around that long.

Keep us posted!

Jon.
Will do. We are making hay and Luke I mentioned we have no job deadline so to speak pressuring this machines completion so be patient. Thank you for your input.