• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Allis Chalmers D14 service & parts manual

Mpat70

Does anyone have a link to the manuals for a D14? I'm needing to figure out how to rebuild my power steering or do I just need to replace a seal. It works just fine but it's leaking fluid.
Links to free PDF would be great!

Mpat70

In addition it's has a Parsons "Shawnee" backhoe, factory installed, and the boom drifts down even with a new cylinder. Once it heats up it had no lifting power ! Any suggestions where to look and what I'm looking for?

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
You might try the Allis Chalmers Tractor Forum. I believe there is also a Orange Power one.
Sounds like your boom control seals are leaking. The pump could be the no power issue but it would not keep it from staying up. My guess is that the control leaks past on the boom.

Mpat70

Boom control seals? What are these? I've repacked the boom cylinder, are you talking about the hydraulic lever? I checked the spring on both sides of the control lever and the appeared fine. Could this thing in the pic below be the problem? It some type of pressure valve. I took it apart and no broken spring or parts. I've loosened the nut inside and I've tightened it to no avail. Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• IMG_20200131_130059_3.jpg
    IMG_20200131_130059_3.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 6

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Boom control seals? What are these? I've repacked the boom cylinder, are you talking about the hydraulic lever? I checked the spring on both sides of the control lever and the appeared fine. Could this thing in the pic below be the problem? It some type of pressure valve. I took it apart and no broken spring or parts. I've loosened the nut inside and I've tightened it to no avail. Thanks for your input.

The picture is of the bypass valve. Adjusting it controls how much pressure it will allow before bypassing. Tinkerer described the issue I was talking about. To test the rebuild on the cylinder you could put a simple ball valve in the line and shut it to see if the boom stays up. That would isolate the cylinder from the control. To not run the control with the valve closed. Rebuilt cylinders are not always perfect like all else in life. I bet the spool is bypassing though. They go thru a lot of cycles over the years on a hoe.

Mpat70

Great idea with the ball valve.
So when I tighten or loosen the control valve I should see a difference in my boom, but I don't see any difference. Could this help narrow it down?

Tinkerer

Although you have a new cylinder it could be leaking. Not likely though.
If you install the ball valves do not move the control valve.
Actually you need a ball valve on both of the cylinder hoses.
The closed valves are used to isolate the cylinder from control valve. If the boom leaks down with both valves in place and closed you need to reseal it. That includes the piston seals that cause the leak down.