• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Allis Chalmers 653 Questions

panic button

We are looking at a 1975 AC 653. After searching the web for hours, this site for days we've up with very little. What I found so far is that it weighs about 12k#, is comparable to AC 655 & 652 and older HD4's, has a 200ci engine with about 50hp (2200 series) but no info on the maker.

Does anybody have any insite on the quality of these old crawlers, spec, & what to look for or any other info.

Thanks-

td25c

There is one on machinerytrader.com in Pensacola.It's been awile since I ran one,and I did not run the 653 alot.From what I remember it was a good smaller tractor.I am not sure of it's pro's&con's from a mechanical standpoint.I think the radiator sat between the back of the engine and the control panal .I wish I could be of more help but I just dident spend alot of time on the 653.Personally I think it's to small for a "farm dozer".It depends what it will be used for most of the time.

panic button

That's the one we are looking at on Friday.

What I've been reading we might have to go to a bigger size for the clearing we want to do.

td25c

From what I can tell from the pictures the 653 look's ok.decent undercarrige,nice rops cab.Check all fluid levels& look it over good.I always like to run them for awile and get everything warmd up.or let the owner run it then you can watch the machine.Most people selling equipment will have a place to run it .If I cant see it operate ,I keep looking.How big are the trees that you will be clearing and what type of soil do you have?

Dave Kor

Hello, I am trying to put seals in an injector pump on a 653 Allis Chalmers . Does anyone know how to get the shaft that the kill and throttle levers pivot on, off ? I'm just imagining some simple trick that we're over looking .