• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Allis-Chalmers 562's Twin scraper

Jdigger4130

Hey Mike the Peterson book you mentioned must be the one. Mine is Peterson blue and I believe second edition. I believe I paid around 20 bucks on Amazon but have seen it go for much more. The Letourneo book is A great read also in regards to the scraper stuff and gives A decent history of earth moving according to him! No real pics to speak of but it tells the story of the Petersons "education" in making machines! I had no idea they were kin so its A cool tie in. My email is Justinnunneley@gmail.com If ya wanna see any pics from the book! I am A caveman and cannot get my photos to post on the hef sadly but have some dandys of boneyards in Humbolt to the bay. As for me I live in Marin county and I am A carpenter n maint guy by day n const toy and model truck addict by night! LOL. I would also say the Earth mover encyclopedia is A cool book to have in your stash as well!

X Quad Operator

Malcolm, Good photo The AC 21 dozer was quite the push cat, I was a laborer in 1959 for Sully-Miller Construction and they had a Million yard freeway job in Orange calif, they moved the bulk of the dirt with a belt loader with Euclid bottom dumps and they were fast 55 mph on a seven mile haul, they must of had fifteen cats pushing to the belt. They had three brand new D9's back then and the rest of the cats were D8 15A's, 14A's, and 2U's. Sully-Miller rented a spread of DW20's and there main push cats were AC 21's and 15A's, the AC 21's had torque converters and they were fast in reverse the Cat 15A's with there torque converters were just as fast both the cat 15A and the AC 21 really worked good together as a team. thanks for the photo Mike Nebergall

lpnt65

Occupation
Retired
Thanks for those fantastic Photo,s of Ts 562 and the 555 I loved those Aliss Chalmers machines, always wanted to see Ts 562 inb Action ever since our local engineer who had been on project where they were working Raved over trhem as be2ing the best

X Quad Operator

Steam there was a tv series back in 1960's called The Fugitive, in the first season, Disc 1, Disc 4 they shot on a job site near LA they based the story around the Allis-Chalmers 562's stupid story. Youtube Murl's Video Plowman58 you will enjoy this Euclid Tss40's. another movie late 30's early 40's (Earth worm tractor staring Joey Brown) you will love this movie. The Fugitive, Earth worm tractor you can get them on Netflix enjoy them. Mike Nebergall

johnhenryrolf

Occupation
equipment operator (Coffey County, KS)
Okay, if I understand this correctly, there is ONE operator for three different bowls (in the pictures toward the front of the thread)? Are any of you out there previous operators of such a monstrosity? I cannot fathom the idea of running three scrapers in a row around a jobsite all day long for weeks on end! I would think that three different operators on three different machines would have more control, and be able to maneuver a little better; thus saving time in the long run...don't let me have it by any means, but tell me if I'm wrong. I appreciate the innovation, I just don't see it as being economical. (Not trying to make anyone mad, just fill me in...thanks!)

Gavin84w

Look at that beautiful highway yellow in the sun, some awesome iron for a 24 year old to have at, the boss must have known you were worthy cos you don,t get that sort of iron brand new back in those days if you were a cowboy.

X Quad Operator

Good morning johnhenryroff, I use to own 1200 series 657B models, we were on a job in new port beach California back in the 80's the material was surger sand, two 657 hooked together you could not get a load, the first scraper after a 1/4 of a load the back 657 scraper it would start hopping, you could try and get a bigger load and watch the back scraper bounce him self to death or pick up, and the back one would get a 1/4 of a load then the front one would do the samething as the back scraper bounce, between the two maybe one load combined. The solution to that problem was to hook three 657B'b together, the first scraper no problem's at all came out with a good 40 yard load and a fast loading time, same with the second scraper, and the third scraper also 40 yards, three was the answer here. On the older pictures 1960, of the three 657's hooked together I would be willing to bet the three hooked together would out load any three conventional 657, single operator's being pushed, I would think the loading time on the three hooked together would be around one minute flat, maybee even faster, remember they were in good loading material. Remember this was not a high production job. Kewitt wanted volume of yards moved per day, not load count for billing purposes. Your comment on three hooked to gether, I would think that it would of been an honer to of been asked to operate this large three scraper rig. If you had the opertunity to have run the first 657's made they were awfully rough riding scrapers, I had a lot of operating hours on them, I would think operating the three hooked together, you would have a much smoother ride over the scrapers rear tire, and the contractor wouldn't be cracking a whip wanting to know why your not running balls out all day. The three scraper would of been a pleasure to run. Mike Nebergall ( Merry Christmas)

johnhenryrolf

Occupation
equipment operator (Coffey County, KS)
Thanks for the insight Mike...as for three scrapers hooked together-that I can understand (I wasn't suggesting the dozer method, just three separate hook and bale). Anyway, I do agree that it would have been awesome to run, it just looks like it would be a nightmare trying to get used to it (though I'd be thrilled to give it a whirl)! I came across a little wrong, didn't think that it would be BAD to run, just thought it would be slower than heck. Thanks again Mike, and Merry Christmas to you too!

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Interesting that you mentioned 3 stringing in sand X Quad.. when we had a sand job a while back we were doing it with 627B's, and discovered the same thing. 3 push-pulling was the hot ticket. Mine had no rear hook, so I was tail-end Charlie... depending on how much room we had, I could pile on a huge load compared to the other 2... just hang on and stack it up!
From what I read about the triple 657, only the most skilled operators were allowed to run it. No surprise there!

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Justin, if you have pics and cant get them loaded here, email them to someone here you trust that can. I could do it if you want, let me know!
Just use the Private Message button if you are interested. I'd love to see pics of this old iron, as I'm sure the other guys here would also.

Marry Christmas and HNY guys!
Alan

lpnt65

Occupation
Retired
To:) Everyone, Have a Great Christmas and a Prosperus New Year, Stay Safe ,:)

kendy

Occupation
Retired
Hi, Yah, I worked off & on for J.A. Thompson for around 10 years 1963 - 1973. Ran 562s on several different jobs, also ran Euc TS 24s, and A.C. HD 21 dozers and did quite a bit of grade checking as well. Also worked for Sully Miller. Ran 562s for Altfillisch/Fulton for good period of time. Ran TS 24 tandem scrapers for Bill McKnight and others. <guitpik@gmail.com>

kendy

Occupation
Retired
As an addition to previous reply. I was the very first Cat D9 Quad pushcat operator for Western Contr. at Castaic Dam and then for Green Const. for a couple of years on several different job sites on the I-5 freeway re-routing over the grapevine between Castaic and Gorman. 1967 - 1969. Was grade checker, foreman and superintendent from '69 to '88. Owned several Cat dozers from 1988 to 2007. - Since, - retired. <guitpik@gmail.com>