• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Allied Skidpac

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
What are you going to use it for?

I have a Allied hoepac for our backhoe and it has the same force specs as this Skidpac. But the skidpac is a lot wider so will not input the same force per square inch, foot, etc.

Our hoepac is great, works great for trenches, etc. But it will not do what a roller will do for a larger space. For example our hoepac has 8,000 lbs of force, while our roller has 60,000 lbs of force but over a wider area.

jrtraderny

I want to use it on driveways and pole barn pads normally 6-12 inch lifts.
The excavator hopacs will do 95 proctor on 2-4 ft. lifts so I think I can use this for what I want to do.
jr

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
I'll Keep you posted .....I just picked one up last weekend, have used it for ~2hrs and so far awesome !
Will be starting a 1000yd job next week with it, I started a thread a couple of weeks ago Skid-Pac vs Drum rollers .... check it out
I did find out (even from the suppliers like BC.) that the rollers don't really work worth a crap, sort of a glorified lawn roller
This thing definately beats the heck out of the material and compacts hard enough to not be able to grind your heals into the ground after its done (one pass).... it will be a bit of getting used to, by getting the right angle so as not to be pushing the material like a dozer ........ cheers

jrtraderny

I'll Keep you posted .....I just picked one up last weekend, have used it for ~2hrs and so far awesome !
Will be starting a 1000yd job next week with it, I started a thread a couple of weeks ago Skid-Pac vs Drum rollers .... check it out
I did find out (even from the suppliers like BC.) that the rollers don't really work worth a crap, sort of a glorified lawn roller
This thing definately beats the heck out of the material and compacts hard enough to not be able to grind your heals into the ground after its done (one pass).... it will be a bit of getting used to, by getting the right angle so as not to be pushing the material like a dozer ........ cheers

Yes please keep me posted, I'm trying to keep from having to move too much machinery onto these smaller jobs. And I'm getting tired of doing everything with a walk behind plate tamper.
jr

jrtraderny

Well, I've got one coming. Found a used one @ a good price and it looks like new.
Fingers are crossed but I think it'll work fine.
jr

jrtraderny

So , how's it working Craft?
I have one setting in my yard now waiting for me to try it out?
jr

lake side bob

Occupation
owner operator
Any new input on the Allied Skid-Pacs??? no one really communicated on what they discovered using the compactor except CRAFT.

jrtraderny

Any new input on the Allied Skid-Pacs??? no one really communicated on what they discovered using the compactor except CRAFT.

Sorry been off doing other stuff. Skidpac works great I like it compared to a roller as it levels also as it compacts.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
How well does it do when you don't want it to level. Like you have put the material to grade and need to compact it. Does it alter the grade?

jrtraderny

How well does it do when you don't want it to level. Like you have put the material to grade and need to compact it. Does it alter the grade?
It depends a lot on the material whether its real loose or packy material, moisture content makes a big difference too. You can angle it so it doesn't level and just compacts without any grade changes. There are times I'd rather have a vibratory roller instead but not that often.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator

Cheers KSSS ! ……bin awhile ….

As "jrtraderny" posted it's all in the angle you set the head at at, going forward or in reverse, KSSS if you can picture using a hand trowel to level fresh concrete, you can either push it or level it just by playing with the angle of the trowel …..

I have put a ton of hrs on mine now with no issues of any kind of failure or wear probs ….. I hardly ever build a road or driveway where I don't use this thing to polish up the job, we've even used it to compact around a new foundation backfill instead of having a couple of guys with jumping Jacks ….. again as posted it works best when the moisture content is bang on.
The job that I first purchased it for was our local VFD, we put in 1000 yds of 3" minus pitrun gravel ~2-1/2' thick in the drive and entrance to the New hall, compacted in ~12" lifts with a 6" top coat of 1" minus crushed road mulch ….. it has been three winters since that job and even in break-up (winters end when frost comes out of the ground) our heavy Fire Trucks don't even sink more that a half inch when tightly turning around, at its softest time.
A client of mine had a house burn to the ground a couple of yrs ago ….. after we cleaned up all of the old foundation (full below grade basement) we backfilled the hole with gooey wet clay muck as a base fill, thats all we had to use, it worked very well with minor build up on the bottom of the plate ….after we got up to grade I compacted the entire house site …. it has been 2 yrs since that job and it never sank an inch it tightened up like concrete, a little bit of top soil grass seed and its now an RV pad.

I also use it with my 312 Cat Exc. (built an adaptor from the exc Q/A to the skid mount plate that bolts on and off in 10 mins) for compacting over banks and burms or hard to reach places that the skid can't go, we also built an extra saddle that bolts on the bottom with a probe and to vibrate/drive fence posts into the probed hole, doing up to 40-50/hr in good flat terrain using the 312, a bit less/hr using the skid-steer because of lining up take a little longer ….. in the last couple of years it has probably done 15 miles of Range fence at a 16'-18' post spacing (i'll let the mathematicians figure out the number of posts that is ….LOL)

All in all it has worked out pretty good versatile attachment for our operation ……… Cheers !!!

Last edited:

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Good to know. I have had a twin drum vibratory roller on rent to own, that I will role into a purchase, but I thought one of these would be nice as well, especially for those jobs that you don't want to mobilize a roller to .

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
It sure would be nice to own ONE of everything, wouldn't it ? …… There is no end to buying or rent to owning more attachments !!! ……LOL