• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

All Hail the almighty Case 440 series 3 Skid Steer.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
The purpose of this thread is to talk about Case machines likes and dislikes with xt / 400 series machines. If you have one don't be afraid to jump in with your experience good or bad.

So if you keep up with these boards you might know that I have been working with a Case 75xt for the last 8 years and 1000 hrs of personal machine time.

Deciding that it was time for a cab with A/C, I started looking for a replacement. It turns out a local company was willing to trade a Case 440-3 for my 75xt. Of course I had to pay an additional 8k along with it. I got to keep my bucket and the new machine had a brand new set of tires.

Now my 75xt was super clean and it showed and was maintenanced well.
This 440 was let's say an ugly duckling, it was and still is covered with road tar to the point that the hydraulic coupler was stuck. We have been air chiseling asphalt off of it, by the wheel barrows full.

I have work backed up and I need it ready to go yesterday. I got it on Saturday and it's on its first job today Monday. I am writing this on lunch break.

Here she is, on a covered over pool.

20160509_114558.jpg

20160509_114621.jpg

20160508_120742.jpg

20160507_121446.jpg

There is leaving the 75 and taking the 440

Last edited:

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Here are the ENGINE Specs for the 440-3.

Model
Case 445T/M3 diesel, Tier III certified
Type 4-stroke, turbocharged
Cylinders 4
Bore/Stroke 4.1 in x 5.2 in
(104 mm x 132 mm)
Displacement 274 in3 (4.5 L)
Fuel injection Direct
Fuel #2 Diesel
Fuel filter In-line strainer
Air intake Cross-flow
Cooling Liquid
Engine speeds (rpm)
High idle – no load 2415+60
Rated – full load 2300
Low idle 1075+75
Horsepower per SAE J1349
Gross 90 (67 kW) @ 2300 rpm
Net 83 (62 kW) @ 2300 rpm
Peak torque
@ 1300 rpm 288 lb·ft (390 N·m)

Last edited:

Georgia Iron

Occupation
So today was a pretty cool day. I had to put the 440 on site to do a job that I missed on Saturday due to tearing out another clutch on my F-550 7.3 on friday, 120 miles from the shop with a full load.. This will be the 6th time I have had to remove the dang trans and transfer case. That zf-6 is a heavy trans to take out. Anyway, I got to put the 440-3 on a job site and test it some today. Todays work consisted of spreading 3 dump truck loads of dirt, grading a steep hillside and removing a whole lot of kudzu. Which was growing up threw chunks of concrete.

The 440-3 is a different animal than the 75xt. I am used to leaning way forward and looking at my cutting edge in the open cab 75xt. Today I found out why you need to keep your head way back from the front door. The 440 just does not slow down for anything. It will bounce you clear out of the seat if you throttle up. It will scoot.

I got head checked 3 times by the front door. Stay far back in the seat and dont lean up near the dang door!

First off I was using the machine to dig and spread dirt. It will not stall. It will roll all the tires over if you hit more than it can move. If you try to lift more weight than it can pick up it, it will just lift the rear end up off the ground. The power in this machine is unreal.

The 75xt is a starter skid steer compared to the 440-3. I decided to back drag my spot with a full bucket of dirt in new loose soil. No problem for the 440 it just keeps on going. Spin on loose soil, loaded with the throttle down, NO problem. POWER.. The hydraulics are so smooth and fast. It is an strong machine, I think pound for pound one of the strongest ever made. It is not a heavy weight like a TL150, it is a faster, more agile, easy driving, medium sized unit. It is a little light in the rear end for the power it has. Comparing it to the XT, i dont like that the lift arms must be raised to get under the cab, I also think the loader arms are different. Comparing it to a new case machines the 440 loader arms, pins and bushings are stronger. It also has more power than the SV280.

It has more power and is stronger than both of the new 70/80 takeuchi/terex units. Of course this is an old school power house with no emissions crap or computers. The mechanical fuel pump works great and it does have a small miss at full RPM. It may be due to wear on the gear or who knows but it still sings with just 1000 hrs on it.

I was told that it had A/C when I bought it. Turns out it just has a heater. Of course we had a weird day here in Georgia when I went to test it out. It was 50* outside so the Air seemed to work. I think when I jumped in the seat and tested the machine out on low throttle, I lost all my senses. It has the extra power that the XT does not have. I checked the air intake tube for dusting it was clean. It did not smoke either. It just hums along. It did not mind working on a low idle type setting.

I am hoping that the oil that is dripping out of the belly is nothing serious. I have not figured out how to raise the cab yet. It does not have a manual with it and the heater hoses go to the roof.

Today was a small test. But I think the 440 will delight me, if it stays together. You can tell there was some crazy old guy at Case that was like LETS give this skid steer a REAL power plant. Well Thank you sir(S). So far, I love it..

The 75xt will always choke down and die when you overload the machine. Get it in soft dirt and have a load in the bucket you have to watch it. I watched a new driver kill my XT 5 times in 5 mins. So far the 440 has yet to stall out. Now I did not purposely try to stall it, but I will as soon as I get a chance. A machine always needs power when it is bogging down and about to get stuck carrying a load. I really am wondering what the 440's weak points are?

20160509_142116.jpg

You might not be able to tell it from the photo but the dirt is HEAPED. It would tip straight forward if you raised the bucket up much. It has power to fill the bucket and push the dirt back up to the cab door!

20160509_165532.jpg

Last edited:

Georgia Iron

Occupation
This is from the Case brochue

Superior loader arm design
These machines are designed to
withstand heavy-duty construction
applications. Loader arms rest low on
the chain tanks, dispersing the shock
of going into the pile throughout the
chassis. Straddle-mounted pins and
in-line loader linkage place the loader
arms, lift cylinders and tilt cylinders on
a single vertical plane. This improves
visibility and loader integrity, extends
loader life and reduces repair costs.

410 420 430 435
Engine 57 net hp (42 kW) 69 net hp (52 kW) 77 net hp (57 kW) 77 net hp (57 kW)
Operating load 1,500 lb (681 kg) 1,850 lb (839 kg) 2,000 lb (907 kg) 2,200 lb (998 kg)
Bucket breakout force 4,654 lbf (20 702 N) 5,500 lbf (24 464 N) 5,784 lbf (25 728 N) 6,681 lbf (28 024 N)
Bucket hinge pin height 114.9 in (2.92 m) 120.7 in (3.06 m) 121.6 in (3.09 m) 120.0 in (3.05 m)
Operating weight 5,430 lb (2463 kg) 6,605 lb (2996 kg) 6,800 lb (3084 kg) 6,780 lb (3075 kg)
Biodiesel compatibility B5 B5 or B20* B5 or B20* B5 or B20*

440 445 450 465
Engine 83 net hp (62 kW) 77 net hp (57 kW) 83 net hp (62 kW) 83 net hp (62 kW)
Operating load 2,200 lb (998 kg) 2,500 lb (1134 kg) 2,450 lb (1111 kg) 3,000 lb (1361 kg)
Bucket breakout force 6,207 lbf (27 610 N) 7,400 lbf (32 917 N) 7,213 lbf (32 085 N) 7,400 lbf (32 917 N)
Bucket hinge pin height 121.5 in (3.09 m) 122.4 in (3.11 m) 124.5 in (3.16 m) 125.5 in (3.19 m)
Operating weight 7,040 lb (3193 kg) 8,120 lb (3683 kg) 8,630 lb (3915 kg) 8,875 lb (4026 kg)
Biodiesel compatibility B5 B5 or B20* B5 or B20* B5 or B20*

Swannny

Nice upgrade. How many hrs. on that unit? What's your take on the sound level between the two? I've always found both series to be loud whether they had cab/heat/ac or not.

Jeepwalker

Nice machine, congrats! Thanks for the overview. Bummer on the no A/C, I would look for a kit and add it as soon as possible (if you wait, you'll probably never do it). What's your feedback going from a vertical to a radial-lift machine for the kind of work you do?

Did you have a skid loader 'before' the 75xt ..what was it and how do you compare your new machine to what you had previously?

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Nice upgrade. How many hrs. on that unit? What's your take on the sound level between the two? I've always found both series to be loud whether they had cab/heat/ac or not.

Hey, Swannny.

Hours count is 1050. The cab air fan/heater is loud and it blows good, but it has a turbine sound while running. The 440 machine engine was working good with about 20% of throttle while digging, so it was not loud. But if I pushed it on up closer to say 75% the drone was more noticeable. I don't think I will bother with putting a radio in it. I always wore ear plugs while running the 75 xt, but it did not have the back glass. So the 440 has less noise just because of that.

The new machines I demoed seemed pointless with a radio also while working. The terex/tak really wanted to have a lot more throttle in order to function compared to the 440. The case demo was missing its radio... I was thinking the radio is pointless for hard work unless maybe the volume was up really high and then at what point do you keep the ear plugs in or out?

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Nice machine, congrats! Thanks for the overview. Bummer on the no A/C, I would look for a kit and add it as soon as possible (if you wait, you'll probably never do it). What's your feedback going from a vertical to a radial-lift machine for the kind of work you do?

Did you have a skid loader 'before' the 75xt ..what was it and how do you compare your new machine to what you had previously?

Hey Jeepwalker,

I am planning to get AC once I put the machine through its paces to make sure it is still good mechanically. As far as vertical compared to radial. Radial is way better unless you are loading trucks. I have not loaded any trucks yet so I cant say for sure which I would rather have. But so far the 440 is everything I have been looking for now for months.

I also own a TL150 takeuchi track machine which is a powerhouse. I have a lot of experience in different machines. I can drive any control pattern set. I get called by a lot of contractors/farmers/builders to complete grading jobs that they might not be comfortable with doing. One of the things that gives me the giggles is when I get called to a job and someone owns the equipment to complete the grading but they don't really understand how to set up a site and make a good building site.

In most cases you have a grading guy, then a concrete guy, then a building guy. We or I am involved in all the process and I normally personally do the grading and I run the concrete crew to install the building slabs/driveways. So I have a lot of experience doing both jobs. I do jobs that at best might require minimal soil engineering and no site plans other than what we draw up on a napkin so to speak. So I am not per say a large type crew that does big type site work. Mostly small to medium jobs..

But doing it this way has taught me watch to watch for. I have done jobs for people going against my better judgement due to customer requests and I have had my fair share of "I am not doing that again type work".

I used to get excited when home builders called me out to do something. I have this one guy that owns a machine and he has called me 3 different times. At first I was like why is he calling me? Now I understand it is because "he" wants me to take the risk to complete the job or he flat out cant cut the grade right. If he calls better add like $200.00 to the price just cause he will make you earn your pay.. Like yesterdays job. Of course he asks me on the phone what I would charge to dig a hole 8' by 12', I thought I can knock that out in 1 hour, 9 hours later I am still there and he never once mentioned on the phone it was under the back part of the house and you will barely be able to move around... so It was for a lap pool. He just said get here as quick as you can we need this done yesterday. Barely room to turn, tight work danger of smashing the house on 2 sides and a neighbors fence on the back. I have never seen a lap pool before and this one cost $20,000.00. Lets just say that grading quote tripled and there is at least as much work left to finish it.

The most common question I get is will you use my tractor and can I have a discount. So I have used a lot of different stuff at first. I realized that for me, just stick to my machines, unless the job is in the next state over.. I can hold a grade better and I can do the job much faster running my machine, especially when it comes to running a dozer. I can run circles around a dozer with either of my 953's.

Most skid steers are similar and some are so close that I am sure guys are like this guy is crazy, I can do this or that the same. I was thinking about the 440 super charged muscle car motor from the 60's, when you walk by one at a car show you can feel the ground shake and you get that funny feeling in your gut and your like dang that is awesome. I dont know if Case named the 440 for that or why it worked out that way but dang that is how this machine is... This machine was sent straight from heaven to me. It can keep up with me and I am a fast operator. I wish i had known about this tractor years ago, i bet it will decrease my job time by 20% to 30%. I could not stall it out yesterday and I just flat love the thing.

Last edited:

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
To lift the cab I believe you pull the two metal arms on either side of the seat forward then close the front door and the cab just tilts forward by pulling on the top of it. It's best to raise the loader arms and lock them with the red safety bar before tilting the cab. There is also a little safety latch by the foot throttle you have to figure out so the cab won't fall on you while lifted.
If you decide to get an A/C I would skip the factory stuff and get a reddot. Unless you find a used unit cheap. I did find a website that has after market A/C parts for a 1/3rd of what Case wants though.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
JS300, That was the procedure for the 75xt. The 440 has bolts that latch it behind the cab. I have yet to try to raise it and I am not sure if the heater hoses tilt too, or if I need to disconnect them. I bit the bullet today and ordered Factory parts for the ac, to include a new rear hood for $1200.00, an evaporator for $500.00, ac compressor brackets and bolts $350.00, a condensor $375.00, a pulley $160.00, belt $40.00, and all total $3000.00 worth of stuff. I am missing the compressor, ac hoses, misc wiring, fittings. A local company has quoted $2,500.00 to finish up the system if I install the fan pulley, brackets, evap, set on there compressor and get the condenser on. I am somewhat mechanically inclined and can about figure out how to do it all myself. It really will just depend on how much work is set to go when the parts make it my way.

The company sells reddot items and they suggested that I install a unit on top of the cab. I like to run through trees and debris and I wanted it to be as protected as it could be so I decided to spend the extra $1750.00 to get the factory parts. I started taking apart the heater box but had to stop to go to another job. It is glued in real tight and seems like it is going to be a real pia to get out.

I also finished installing my 3rd clutch in my f550. The clutch disc was prefect but the entire metal housing that sits inside the clutch springs just pulled apart and was spinning with out spinning the clutch pads. So far I have burnt up a shift fork in the transfer case, broken the clutch throw out arm, burnt up a clutch, installed a bad clutch that would not hold, broken the center out of a clutch, and removed the engine twice. Pulling 14 k to 20 k trailers is not going so well for me. LOL.

I put in a heavy duty valeo clutch this time. They told me it is more noisy than the standard and it is, but the clutch disc and metal is much better made with more rivets, springs and metal frame work.

Last edited:

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Here are some photos of the "lap pool job".20160510_134830.jpg

Removing a hot tub.

20160510_184732.jpg

20160510_184919.jpg

20160510_192711.jpg

This was for a little ol lady that wants to sit on the edge and just be able to get in with out stepping up. So grade was 36"s below the house slab.

Concrete is going in for a base and some walls too. The pool weights 2000 lbs empty, I really don't see how they are going to get it in with out me going back with the machine to help.

This is the kind of job that will test what your machine can do, the controls better be dialed in right or the teeth or the rear end is going to hit the house or fence.

I tried to stall out the 440 digging in and climbing out of the hole. It would not have any of it and just kept on humming along.

Last edited:

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Gotcha I have a 450 series 1 and just figured it would be the same. If you have any trouble installing the A/C give me a shout. I pretty much dismantled mine last summer to fix it. One thing I did find on my 450 was the hood has to be closed and the cab down to get a proper charge. Thi is due to the way the fan draws air across the condenser. Good luck and glad you like the skid. I really like mine.

Jeepwalker

Nice machine. When funds allow, I'd like to upgrade from my 1845C to a newer unit ...440, or maybe a 450. I'm jealous!
Keep the posts of your work coming..

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Well $500.00 and a week later I am still cleaning this ugly duckling.

20160510_090701.jpg

I wish I had taken the time to open the belly and look first.

I did not bother to take a picture but all the wiring was in hardened asphalt.

What an utter pia to clean up. We have been detailing this with gas a a tooth brush.

I don't think I want any more machines that were used by an asphalt contractor.

I also now know why my 75xt was so much easier to take care with standard hydraulics. This 440-3 has high flow and the additional 2 lines and hydraulic pilot controls. I can barely get my hand down to the belly. I have not seen so many hoses in one small area, it is scary. Case once again designed the machine with a huge flaw with almost no access to the bottom of the machine with a few stupid little access ports. Case why don't you send your lovely engineers out to my shop to work on this, what happened to common sense?

Last edited:

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The 440 is a great machine. I have had a70XT and a 440 very similar, big power in a small package. The fact that there is asphalt caked everywhere sucks. They all have small access ports. They are made to flush the bottom out, and change the oil in that particular machine.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Well, I managed to track down all the misc parts and got everything installed. The factory AC hood runs 1400.00. I decided to cut up my stock hood and modify it to hold the condenser. After testing my Temps with the engine fan only I was keeping to much heat with not enough air flow, so I wired in an electric fan which cuts on with a relay which pulls it signal off the ac compressor. Saved 3500.00 keeping my old hood and installing everything my self.

Seems to be cooling about 20*s.

20160804_190931.jpg

Last edited:

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Did you mount the fan under the hood to the condenser? I've been looking at doing this on my 450. The radiator fan just doesn't pull enough air to keep it really cool.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Fan installed on the cooler and is a puller fan.

This fan was for a jeep. China made, rated for continuous duty.

20160715_145954.jpg
20160804_190947.jpg
20160804_190908.jpg

Fan cools the condenser, 20*s which makes it run around 110-120*. The ac works like a charm and a steady flow of water runs off the evaporator. Uses a expansion valve instead of a orifice tube. Very simple to set up once you understand how it works. A simple wire with voltage runs from a relay which is controlled by a AC compressor switch. This voltage wire goes through the high pressure switch, then a themostat on the evaporator, so it does not freeze up, then straight to the compressor. Simple wiring and setup if you understand how to use relays so you are not sending all the voltage through your rocker switches...

The systems are heavy duty compared to an auto system.. R134a is about 30% less efficient than R12 so it does not get as cold but it feels great compared to no AC.

My case has a puller fan on the engine but it was not forcing enough air across the condenser which would cause the pressures to spike to 300 + and that would cause the high pressure switch to open... so the fan was a must for me... I welded in a heavy duty heat shield between the muffler and the condenser but it was not enough to drop the heat in it..

20160615_172906.jpg

This a stock hood, I bought one then returned it once I realized I could easily fab it up.... Lost that 20% restocking fee and shipping.. Oh well.

The stock system did not have the fan it is something I added on my own..

Last edited:

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Thanks for the pics looks like you did a good job on the install. I'm going to order a new front door and add the condenser fan like you did. My a/c is factory and stays good and cold when it's below 90* outside but anything above that and performance goes way down. I've been wanting to try the fan for awhile but wasn't sure it would work. Be a good winter time project.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
I thought I would give you guys an update on the 440. AC still works great. It has been worth its weight in gold. It filters the cabin air and stops you from breathing so much dust. This is the main benefit of a enclosed cabin. Saves your lungs.

So far I have broken the 440 once and I could not site fix it. A hose blew in the belly and I was in the middle of stacking logs in a pile. I was in a dust bowl at the time. I was just able to slide the front door off the hinges and crawl out of the front of the machine. The lift arms were stuck and would not lower or go up. The tire would not move either.

I called a wrecker and they came to the site and attempted to winch it onto the bed. The wreckers winch got the machine close but did not have enough power to load it. So I took a 953 cat loader and shoved it on. I did not bother to remove the chains or axles so the wheels would not move. I guess I could have damaged the running gear but I was not about to attempt to fix it on site

At the shop I spread just a little oil on the bed and it slid right off the wrecker. Took about 2 hours with a pressure washer washer knocking the dust off. We had to remove several misc parts to get to the line that broke and we replaced it.

I ended up going and buying almost every hydraulic wrench made including a full snap on set. In the end using a torch, cutting and bending a harbor freight wrench allowed us to get to the fitting that was almost not accessible. I bought a full set of cheap wrenches just to have on hand if I need to cut one or modify it.

The repair took 1.5 days with all the misc parts removal and running around.

I have almost worn another set of teeth off and 50% off another set of tires. The blown hose is to be expected with an older machine. I have put about 200 hours on it now. It is still a little tank and does its job very well. It still does not smoke or burn oil. It does have another dripping hydro leak that I cant see and leaks out a little over the night. It is a weird drip that does not always happen, seems to happen more when it is colder out side.

Last edited: