• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Alarmstat Work-Around (Bypassing) - CAT 3208 with Kysor 1002-04870

Scout_1969

Background:

While swapping out a CAT 3208, I broke the alarmstat at the threads going into the timing cover

It's a Kysor Cadillac Alarmstat, 1002-04870, stamped 210 (degrees I believe) with 3 wires.

Cannot find one reasonably priced IMHO, locally about $175, so I am waiting to find one online cheaper

Questions:

Is there a work-around for temporarily bypassing the alarmstat?

Do I just need to keep an eye on the coolant temperature?

Attachments

• Photo0589.jpg
    Photo0589.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 3,398
Last edited:

Scout_1969

Any advice would be appreciated.

We should get the engine back in this weekend and until I find a better solution, I will try wiring the broken top back in.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Is there just two wires going to switch? The basic Kysor shut down system uses two switches, one for water temp if engine gets too hot and one for oil pressure if pressure drops, to shut down engine in either of these cases. If there's just two wires at that broken switch, just join the two wires and you'll bypass that switch.

Scout_1969

I'm gonna try to figure this out this weekend and hopefully get the truck running, so any help would be appreciated.

There's another sensor with wires, back on the fuel connection in the rear of the motor that a small brass post has snapped off. There's another beside it that is ok.

I don't want to ruin anything of course, but I may have to run without these for a while.

Can they be bypassed without doing harm to the engine?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yes, it can be bypassed without doing harm to engine. The Kysor alarmstat system is a layer of protection for an engine by providing automatic shutdown in the case of high water temp or low oil pressure. As long as you have working oil pressure and water temp gauges, and that you monitor them, you'll be operating vehicle like most other vehicles that do not have auto shutdown system.

It's been a long time since I've messed with one of those systems, but the basics of what it does is run the wire that powers the fuel shutdown solenoid through those pressure and temperature switches. All you have to do is turn on ignition and find the hot wire, don't know whether it will connect to oil pressure switch first or temp switch, but once you find your ignition wire, simply route it to the terminal on the fuel solenoid on injection pump.