• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

akerman h12

trekkar

The cat 225 I was thinking about sold but this 1976 akerman just came up for sale. Owner says it runs fine doesn't look great but I don't really car about that. It does leak, asking around 10k. If it turns into a complete bust whats scrap value? And how is a machine weighing 30 tons scraped? Are there companies you can just haul it too or do you need to disassemble it?

Ct Farmer

I looked at one of those in connecticut. Boom was really bad. Lots of crack and repairs. That machne is prehistoric but has no computer which is good. Akermans are tough old birds but just that - old.

Parts are non-existant, used at best. Does it have the Scania or volvo engine?

10k seems quite high for that machine unless it is really, really nice. For a little more I bought a much newer Volvo that just needed some tlc.

As for scrapping - $150 per ton is going rate around here. Someone would likely take it - for free. Be better parting it out if you can then scrap remains to recoup some $.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day trekker
The H12 had a Volvo TD70 turbo engine parts are still available, as to the machine built to last, leaks are fixable the pumps are old generation fixed displacement and three of them. The equipment joints all had self aligning bearings needed lithium grease but would outlast the machine even digging rock provided the correct grease was used. Small hose connections are by Emerto still available. These machines are always good renovation projects but it depends what you intend to use it for.
Akermans were based in Connecticut at one stage, if you need any other information from me a line.
Kind regards
Uffex

mike944

Occupation
Mechanical engineer
Akermans (in general) were built like tanks. But, after 40+ years of potentially hard use, and potentially questionable maintenance, all bets are off as to current condition.

Good luck!

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Always had a soft spot for Akermans . As mentioned, built to last, stone simple and reliable. Built before emissions. Very common Volvo engine. Just hard to keep the pump drive from leaking. That one cylinder boom always made me wonder, why? And how the heck does that lift?

mike944

Occupation
Mechanical engineer
....That one cylinder boom always made me wonder, why? And how the heck does that lift?

Depends on your perspective. Those 2-cylinder booms always make me wonder why? twice as many pins, twice as many seals, more hoses and other plumbing, etc... :) I assume twin cylinders (in modern machines) are mostly for safety reasons. Akerman used a "Hose Rupture Valve" as a safety device.

As to how it lifts, it works just fine. It's just an absolutely enormous cylinder. approx 7-1/4" bore