• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Airman PDS70S Screw Compressor

RM Snipe

Hi all, bought a cheap compressor on weekend at auction when I got it home & started the engine revs high then drops a bit with no air delivery ? Has a start/run unloader switch but no change cycling it.. Read post below (sullair) so went looking for a bell housing inspection plate but is none but it has a hole with no eye access so used phone to take pic of it & looks ok. Started it & took pic & everything seen through hole was spinning..If I turnover engine pulley I can feel coupling spin so could be key is sheared in the air ends metal gear if rotors aren't spinning ? Thought rubber outer gear would give first ? Should it sound like a supercharger while running loaded or not because I just hear a diesel running ? Lifting the lid off box tomorrow so I can see/access air end & take something off to view rotors when turning over by hand.. Cracked oil drain & a bit water than oil came out, oil is clean no metal etc.. Oil level seems to go down a bit then back up with it running for 60sec or so.. On shutdown I can just hear air bleeding somewhere for 10-20sec only like 5psi.. Anything else I should check first Guru's ??

View attachment 313306
View attachment 313307

RM Snipe

Hi All, I fixed it was the unloader valve, poppet brass center bolt was stuck in bore, thought diaphragm was stuffed but has no holes & all works now.. Should the diaphragm be flat on both sides & has just deteriorated from suction & oil ?

20240528_132327.jpg 20240528_131507.jpg

Queenslander

I can’t tell you anything about the internals of the compressor but most of the characteristics you describe sound normal.
Most of the gear we run through 1/2 inch hose doesn’t draw enough to load it up.
It’s only when using a 1inch hose that it runs at full revs.
We bought ours from Blue Diamond in WA.. they could probably help you out if you’re chasing parts.
IMG_2340.jpeg