• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Air Ride Conversion on an Aluminum Frame

72hayes

Occupation
road builder
We are going to change from a Rubber Block to a Neway Air-Ride on an Aluminum Frame.
Are there any tricks or tips that we should do?
we are planning on using the cross members from the Neway.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I concur with Truck Shop on this one and have done many myself. Actually have an ARD-244 to go under a Mack RL797LST in the near future. What I would suggest is ensure your bored holes through the frame are straight meaning from a mag drill of something like that. I typically clamp a piece of 3/4" plate to the frame to attach my mag drill to. I actually went one step further and bored a plate to the correct hole and dimension layout for this suspension so it becomes a pattern requiring only clamping four times for a tandem assembly. I simply align with the bottom of the frame rail, clamp it where needed on the frame, and drill. I then use grade 8, 5/8" fine threaded fasteners and washers to assemble on this suspension. Seldom did I ever reuse old fasteners unless specialty types.

Old Doug

If a guy wanted to convert a single axle truck that wasnt offered with air ride what would be a good setup to use?

1693TA

Occupation
If a guy wanted to convert a single axle truck that wasnt offered with air ride what would be a good setup to use?

Neway, Hendrickson, and Peterbilt systems were individual meaning you could use the rear rear from a tandem truck for use as a single axle. I typically purchased the suspension with the desired rear rear axle and as mentioned earlier it's not difficult. You would need some driveline work also, and precise in measurements/boring. A truck using hydraulic brakes would be a bit different and I've never done that myself. Some of the air ride suspensions bolt or clamp to the drive axles, some are welded so would need approached appropriately.

Old Doug

Its has air brakes but is gas so i would need to find a axle my 3rd member would work in or use my rear end.

1693TA

Occupation
Its has air brakes but is gas so i would need to find a axle my 3rd member would work in or use my rear end.
Mounts are fairly easy to come by. I've modified several after cutting them free from donors. Air brakes opens your options quite a bit.

Truck Shop

For a universal air ride The Reyco AR102 is a good one. All four hangers are the same as what's used on
the front of spring ride 102, It's also low ride air ride. Pete and others basically copied it to some degree.