• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Air Brakes Freezing -How To Prevent??

Sparffo

Occupation
Demolition contractor
The instructions say to mount the evaporator about 8 to 10 feet from the compressor, and before the air tank. The most convenient place to mount this would be below the right side engine cover, which would only be about two feet from the compressor. Can anyone see any problems resulting from that location?

if you mount the alcohol unit to close to the compressor, it will melt, burn or explode! thrust me, i live in Finland! :D we REALLY need stuff like that to get our airbrake things to move in the cold winter:beatsme and i really hate it...

on our Volvo FL10 truck we had problems with a line that came out of the air dryer, it melted after 3hours operating. even lines that are suposed to hold 10 bars at 110¤c melted:eek:
the only way we got it working was to add a cooler coil in front of the dryer, the old owner had taken it away...
we made the cooler coil out of hydraulic tube (thin metall type) and made a spring of about 5metres of line, the spring was the size of a airfilter for the truck.

Northart

Tanner Gas Location ?

Hello Swampdog,

Now, don't take me as an expert on this, I'm just relaying information from what I know.

The Tanner Gas units that I was familiar with, were mounted by the rear tail light bracket. As I show by the arrow in attached picture.

I'm also learning about other products, here, that I never knew existed .

Sounds like you can, coil up the hose , so you get 8'-10' of linear distance. Maybe someone will clarify that .

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Cat 966C Air Dryer 4.jpg
    Cat 966C Air Dryer 4.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 2,867

Komatsu 150

Gentlemen
It's 8-10 feet of airline that is required between the compressor and evaporator/sniffer. The air coming out of the compressor can get extremely hot. Thats why they use the Stainless steel braided line out of the compressor. On our 14 and 160H I have the Midland unit mounted in the engine compartment about 18" away from the compressor, but the airline comes out of the compressor goes all the way back to the dryer mounted at the back of the machine then exits the dryer and goes back up to the evaporator/sniffer, giving me the required 8 feet of line. I like mounting it in the engine compartment so it stays clean since you have to service it often. That way dirt doesn't get in it when you remove the valve to add Tannergas. It's close to where the mechanics check the oil so they remember to service it too.

Komatsu 150; I talked with our mechanic regarding the heaters on the new Bendix dryer. He said the heater is optional, but the way they are wired is hot all the time (when the key is on). There may be something internally that shuts it on and off depending on temperature. I'm still doing some more reading on this when I get time because I did find an article that states the new buses and trucks work that way. It just doesn't say in the article if it's something on the truck or something in the dryer controlling it.

Randy

I was curious enough to look up the service info for the Bendix AD9. There is a thermostat that is part of the purge valve and heater, which is all replaced in one lump. Suppposed to turn the heater on at 40 deg. F.

Can anyone give me some tips to keep the air brakes from freezing on the Cat 966C?

The valve under the left brake pedal has frozen up a couple of times, due to moisture that freezes. That releases all the air from the system, and the brakes lock on. Then I have to back off the brakes and thaw out the valve. I drain all the air from the tank after use but that doesn't seem to be enough to prevent the freezing.

I don't see any place to add alcohol or brake anti-freeze in the system. I've heard that alchohol is not good for the seals and other parts in the air system. Is there a safe product to use, and where would one add it?

Thanks for your help!
hi the air system should be drain of moisture every time that the shovel is used and we use methanol as an antifreeze in the brake system which works quite well
regards onearmedbandit