• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

AEC and joystick throttle down button do not work

ToxicTrav117

1996 Cat 315L
Serial Number- 6YM01670

My idle down button on the joystick doesn't work. AEC does not work. I'm also having issues with my throttle control and have code E11 which I think I have determined to be an ECM problem as I have not found a short anywhere in the wires. Will a bad ECM also cause these not to work? Ecm has a green light on it.

anuradha

Hi,

E-11 code means " governor actuator feedback sensor circuit is shorted to body ground "

It means you have to check your governor actuator wiring and if you found that your wiring is ok then turn off your key and disconnect governor connector near the governor and start your machine and go to real time error code mode and see whether it shows error code E-10.

If it shows E-10 it means your controller is good and your governor feedback sensor circuit is bad and you have to either replace or repair your governor actuator.

If it does not shows code E-10 it means your controller is bad then you have to repair or replace it.

To narrow down this issue like this, first you have to make sure that your wiring is good.

Last edited:
Reactions: ALB

anuradha

Hi,
Do not rush to guess that it is a bad controller.
Because after disconnecting governor connector if E 11 code still displays then the problem sometimes will be the wiring.

anuradha

Again check your wiring to governor actuator.
Specially trace the number 3 pin wire from the governor connector it is the purple wire ( A 761-PU ) this is the signal wire and if this wire is shorted to ground from somewhere E- 11 code will display all the time.

ToxicTrav117

The wire has continuity when I checked it, although the disconnect was off. I'll check it with the battery disconnect on tomorrow and see if I get a different answer.

anuradha

You can do another thing. First turn off key sw & disconnect sw. Then remove small connector of the controller from the two controller connectors.
Now turn on both the switches and again go to real time error codes and see whether E 10 code displays.
If it displays then your controller is good and wiring is bad.

You can check this another way as well. trun off disconnect sw.remove small controller connector near the controller. and disconnect governor connector and check the continuity between pin 3 ( earlier mentioned A761-Pu one ) and body ground. Here continuity should not exists, that means ohm reading should be infinity. If it shows other than this wire is shorted to ground.check this from both ends.

ToxicTrav117

When I disconnected the 24 pin controller harness, code E10 did display on the monitor. Code E11 is not present when it is unplugged.

ToxicTrav117

Whatever it was I moved around all the wires and separated them and now everything works again. No error codes and everything is back to normal.

ToxicTrav117

I have learned a lot over the last 2 years about repairing electrical problems. Me shaking the wires never actually solved the problem it just made it work for a little while and then the throttle would act up again. I finally solved this problem by replacing the A761 signal wire by splicing a new wire between the controller and the governor actuator. This fully solved the problem and the error went away.