• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Advice with Engine oil grades

cfherrman

Aside from cold weather performance and the theoretical improvement of extended service intervals with synthetic, what is the benefit of running 5w-40 vs 15w-40?

15w40 is thicker cold, same when warm

I have no idea about soot and ash, I didn't know we were talking about two strokes here

Shimmy1

We started running it in 2016. Switched from T3 Rotella. It can get fairly hot, upper 90s, into the 100s. The main reason for the switch was the guy I was working for upgraded some machinery, and Case was recommending this 10-40 instead of 15-40. At the time, it was pretty close to Rotella in price, and we also set up a bulk system so we decided to switch to something that would be delivered.

I'm not sure if it's lasting longer, we change at 250 hours regardless of the recommended interval.

IceHole

Some places sample, some don't.

They wanted me to do 500hr on the work truck. ISX Cummins. I think 250hr is proper for the conditions it sees, but whatever.
Wanted to follow up a bit. Not my truck and I'm obviously not paying for it or maintaince.

There's someone that oversees all the trucks and they've decided 500hr changes is an acceptable OCI, likely factoring costs, down time, etc.

Tenwheeler

Wanted to follow up a bit. Not my truck and I'm obviously not paying for it or maintaince.

There's someone that oversees all the trucks and they've decided 500hr changes is an acceptable OCI, likely factoring costs, down time, etc.
I worked for a company that had operations over many states. An equipment company told them they could go to 500 HR service intervals if their oil was used. Sales pitch for new units I thank. That was my orders even though all our units had over 8,000 hours on them. There were notes about oil samples but I was told not to do them if there is not problem? There were no major engine problems when the contract was lost. These units had around 12,000 hours by then. Major savings right!
Well if they did not change the oil at 250 HR they also did not get greased as well as other things checked. We were not allowed to do anything early so the fuel filters that should be changed at 750 hours went to a thousand. What was spent on common rail injection problems and such would buy a lot of oil and filters.
Just saying these extended intervals may not be best for smaller companies. That is compared to Niges example of well managed fleet on top of the curve.
Still like to change the oil and filters on my oil farm tractors at least once a year. Even if they have not been used much. Grease them often. Grease is cheap!

IceHole

I worked for a company that had operations over many states. An equipment company told them they could go to 500 HR service intervals if their oil was used. Sales pitch for new units I thank. That was my orders even though all our units had over 8,000 hours on them. There were notes about oil samples but I was told not to do them if there is not problem? There were no major engine problems when the contract was lost. These units had around 12,000 hours by then. Major savings right!
Well if they did not change the oil at 250 HR they also did not get greased as well as other things checked. We were not allowed to do anything early so the fuel filters that should be changed at 750 hours went to a thousand. What was spent on common rail injection problems and such would buy a lot of oil and filters.
Just saying these extended intervals may not be best for smaller companies. That is compared to Niges example of well managed fleet on top of the curve.
Still like to change the oil and filters on my oil farm tractors at least once a year. Even if they have not been used much. Grease them often. Grease is cheap!
I try to grease every fuel fill