• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Advice on volvo A25D operation

KBS

I've been browsing for about a year but recently decided to join the forum. I am an excavator operator and new to the industry. I have a year of experience plus certification from a training school but I'm having a really hard time finding a job as most companies want at least 3 years of experience. A company called me saying they operate a fleet of Volvo A25D rock trucks and they want to see me for an interview even though they know I am an excavator operator. I told them I have no experience on a rock truck but they said that's ok as they are willing to make an exception for me as they like my resume.

I don't want to go into the interview looking like a complete noob. I downloaded brochures and operating videos and while they are informative, training videos are just a basic guideline. I have operated dump trucks before so I'm not completely new but I know rock trucks are a lot different. Is there any advice you guys could give me so I can impress them at my interview? I want to show them I at least understand how to operate a rock truck. Thank you.

390eric

Don't run over rocks tires are expensive, try not to flip the bed. If dumping on a fill, pay attention to the dozer man and see where the load needs dumped. Once you get used to it, you will know where to dump most of the time.

Not to sound harsh,but a year of experience is nothing in a hoe. Driving truck sucks, but you have to start somewhere and its a way in. Pay attention to the entire site as you drive all day. Watch what other operators do and don't do. Learn whatever you can. Take care of that truck, even if its junk.

The guys that work the most in my company are the ones that can and will do anything and everything. So learn how to operate any machine you can get seat time on.

KBS

Thanks for the advice. I understand about safety and learning by watching others. I was working as a labourer for 8 years prior to operating. Even though I only have a year of experience, my skill level is comparable to someone who has been operating for 3+ years (according to foremen and other operators). It's just tough convincing an employer to give me a chance because of my lack of experience. I'm really determined to do the best I possibly can if this company hires me as a rock truck operator.

This brings up another question (sorry to go off topic). How is a new operator suppose to gain experience when employers only look for 5+ year experienced guys? What happens when all these operators retire or the demand for skilled operators increases?

390eric

Alot of the companies in my area, non-union, you work your way up. Where I work, most of our truck drivers, are laborers if there is no truck work. Start them in the ditch and truck, if they seem like they want to work, learn, and responsible, they get seat time. its just proving yourself and taking advantage of every opportunity you can get.

I am sure they are interested you because of your background. They might not have a hoe seat open right now, but guys come and go often, you will never know when you will get that chance.

Ill give you my quick background. Started as truck driver/laborer. Worked hard,proved myself. Moved to compactor,then dozer. It took me about 4-5 years but now I am the guy loading the trucks. It all comes with time.

Deeretracks

Occupation
Shop Foreman
The company I work for is always hoping for the new guys to step up to the next level. Laborers are easy to find but a safe productive operator is invaluable. Our green guys get lots of chances running rock truck, hoepac, backfill, roller, loader, ect. Some excel some fail but the ones that complain that the company is holding them back are dead wrong. Start low, work hard, be safe, care, have a good attitude, and you will go far.........

KBS

Just to give you guys an update (warning: long post lol)

I got a phone call from a guy who said that all I needed to know was how to excavate a residential foundation using a laser level. He was chinese and couldn't speak english so there was very little communication. I show up monday morning and I'm the only one on site and there are 3 dump trucks waiting to be loaded. I call the boss and all he says is load the trucks then gives me an address for another job site. So I load all the spoil into the trucks and head to the other job site. There another guy interviews me. He said I need to know demolition, land clearing, foundation excavations, concrete forming, installing utilities, and landscaping. The operator is required to work by himself on a job site from start to finish without supervision or instruction. He is responsible for everything including calling dump trucks, ordering material, servicing the machine, dealing with the home owner and so on. They expect the operator to show up on a job site and know exactly what to do from start to finish. I said I am a new operator and was only told I need to know foundation excavations and using a laser level. He said that's ok, they will train me.

Yesterday I show up on a different job site. Excavation for an apartment building (I was told residential only). The boss shows up and puts 2 stakes in the ground and says cut here and follow the existing grade and to load the trucks whenever they show up then he takes off. I do as I'm told but throughout the day I had questions so I called him a couple times. There were boulders at the bottom of the spoil pile and piles of sand, I didn't know what to do with them. Then surveyors showed up and said a bunch of work was suppose to be done that wasn't

Boss shows up at the end of the day and tells me I am not fit for the position. According to him an operator is suppose to know what to do without asking questions. I told him it was my second day with a new company working by myself and I was working on projects that were already started, how am I suppose to know what the plan is? Again he said an operator is suppose to just know. Then he offered me a job as a labourer for minimum wage. So is he right? IS this how most companies operate? Last company I worked with there was always a foreman/supervisor telling me exactly what he wanted done and encouraged me to ask questions. If I was left by myself they always made sure I knew what to do.

I still have an interview lined up for the rock truck position. I talked to the owner last night and he said he wants to try me out on an excavator first to see where I'm at. Then he will decide where to put me.

Sorry for the long post!

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
Keep at it and you'll crack it. Sounds like you've the heart to get where you want.
Good luck

Deeretracks

Occupation
Shop Foreman
Wow, when you explained your experience level to them they should have expected to give you some guidance at least. To hire someone around here that could walk on day 1 and do all they expected would cost $50/hr. I think you are lucky they let you go. Keep after it and you'll find a good fit. Wish you were closer, we need to find some more guys with your drive and attitude.

390eric

Yeah they probably try anyone they can, because they cant keep anyone with that attitude and expectations. I don't think most companies are like that. Keep your head up and keep trying, you will find something.

KBS

Thanks for the support and advice I really appreciate it. I was feeling a bit discouraged/inadequate after my bad experience with that company. I called my instructor from the training school I attended and he told me there are a lot of guys like that in the industry and that I need to be cautious.

The owner from the rock truck company called me today. He said he likes my attitude and wants to hire me full time at the end of April. He said if I'm willing to work for free for a day he will train me one on one to run a rock truck including maintenance and pre-trip inspections. I think this a pretty good opportunity, they are basically letting me run a truck for a day and practice at my own pace.

KBS

I just spent my first week driving rock trucks. I really enjoy it! They have one other excavator operator and he has less experience than I do so we switch halfway through the day so we can gain practice/experience. Pretty soon we will both be running excavators full time. I run the excavator in the morning then a volvo A35 in the afternoon.

My back is absolutely killing me. I have a lot of lower back pain after running the truck. I injured it 3 years ago in a car accident so I guess the rough ride is aggravating my old injury. Is there any way to avoid this other than slowing down or do I just have to deal with it?

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
Sounds like a good fit Imo learn to work well with every one in the company even if you don't see eye to eye
if they see you get things done and can work with everyone you'll move up quick a good foreman/ operator will always be Desired Also check air in front tires a lil less air = more traction and better ride

KBS

Sounds like a good fit Imo learn to work well with every one in the company even if you don't see eye to eye
if they see you get things done and can work with everyone you'll move up quick a good foreman/ operator will always be Desired Also check air in front tires a lil less air = more traction and better ride

Yup I get along well with everyone. They are all extremely nice and helpful. Everyday the owner phones me after work to ask me how I did and what I learned. He sent me a text today to say he's happy to have me and I'm doing a good job. It feels great to be appreciated.

The mechanic drops by a few times a week to maintain the machines. He keeps the tires at 60 psi. Is that too high?

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
Not sure what spec is off hand what are they a35 c's /d's what terrain you hauling in I would discuss with mechanic about ride quality and maybe letting 10 psi out and trying it. If air temp is hot and you try it check sidewall temp and compare with back tires to prevent excessive heat. The backs carry most weight fronts can be a little less than rear tires

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
There's all of factors for proper tire pressure usually oem spec is just a suggested pressure based on average conditions so there should be some tolerance I have books for a40s and a25s and 725 cat if I get time I'll see were the ranges are and post my findings for reference