• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Advice on equipment

Jonas302

You would never ever regret having a good sized skid steer or CTL on the property I would buy that before any heavy equipment

Tyler d4c

One machine to clear, grubb, grade, excavate?

Easy - track loader. Either a 953 or 963 - A,B or C models. I have no experience with the D's and up.

Rent what you need or hire out the misc stuff.
I've been told you can do it all with a track loader just the ditches are 8 foot wide

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Only way to kill a standing Live HL is Girdle it 3-4" wide, remove the bark to Cambium and spray OFTEN with Tordon. First have to get close enough To Girdle, then have to deal with thorns as takes years to soften. Nothing Rubber tired.

Truck Shop

What these were missing was a 12V71 with a Allison--{If it had that-Every member on HEF
would have told you to buy it-{except one}:)
img_9075-jpeg.297916

Truck Shop

Only way to kill a standing Live HL is Girdle it 3-4" wide, remove the bark to Cambium and spray OFTEN with Tordon. First have to get close enough To Girdle, then have to deal with thorns as takes years to soften. Nothing Rubber tired.
Is this what your talking about? the stink from it alone64ea488fa7fe7bb2995dc5284cf1d102.jpg should kill just about anything.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
NOT Quite!!!, wore a Back Brace surprisingly similar but with belt tensioners 1977-1979 then chucked that in a dumpster.

Several tried a single saw cut where the trees just grew bark back across damage, this is where I went on a few here, not my pic in this frame. Need to treat the lower bark edge with copious quantity of RTU Tordon immediately after cut. Is a seconday event with Tordon, ANY Shrub, Tree or planting in contact with the treated tree roots will also die.

girdling-tree-trunk-bark-will-600w-2151280053.jpg

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
I vote for the unimog. It is a WAR buggy. Basically you can drive down the road and flip cars out of the way and then dig the road up behind you so they can't get you as your speeding away...

Then when you get to the job site you can light it on fire and burn the whole Forrest down and bam doneZo.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
View attachment 297916
This isn’t the exact one but this is what I’m talking about. I can buy one in good shape for $17,000 30 miles away.

With some of the responses, I’m wondering if this and a good sized skidsteer would be my best bet. And I’ve actually seen a tree spade on the back in lieu of the backhoe.

Reminds me of the movie The Pentagon Wars. Great film.

The Unimog is a brain child of the movie. :rolleyes:

terex herder

I don't think Tordon is labeled as a basal bark spray, only foliar and cut stump. Remedy Ultra and diesel fuel is labeled for basal bark, thoroughly wet all basal bark areas to a height of 15-20" above ground. And being mixed with diesel, freezing weather is not a problem. Tordon in water can freeze in your equipment. Local timing is mid July to mid January.

For cut stump treatment, label usually specifies with 15 or 20 minutes of cutting.

Truck Shop

A ditch rider I knew years ago gave me a coffee can full of some stuff the RR use to use
{I say use to}. Killed all kinds of stuff-including the neighbors tree.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
What is hilarious is Tordon is NON Harmful to animals, guy I worked with set out a pan of it in water for neighbors dogs to lap up then go home to pee all over their owners shrubbery, worked like lightning!! Dogs were fine, but EVERY Shrub Flower and bush of any kind was DED Dead.

Welder Dave

There's something railroads use that I think can be mixed with Round Up that makes it sterilize the soil for 2 to 3 years. It must be pretty toxic because you can't bring it into Canada. Just can't remember the name.

terex herder

Prolly not Paraquat. Paraquat is a contact herbicide and only has foliar activity, inert once it touches the soil. Complete coverage is essential. I've seen many weeds with 90%+ coverage that look like they were never sprayed 2 weeks later. There is no herbicide I know of that works faster than Paraquat, but any amount of green left after a couple of days will probably lead to the plant recovering.

Might have been-looked like rock salt.
Probably "Spike".